In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

black powder

glynglyn Member Posts: 5,949
Does anyone know where black powder can be bought in Connecticut? All I have been able to find in stores are the replacements, not the real thing. I would go mail order but I do not need that much. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Has any one tried Grafs black powder in a mettalic cartrdge,if so how does it compare with other brands.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Can some one tell me how the old timers made their own black powder and it contents? Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    44caliberkid44caliberkid Member Posts: 925 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use Graf's 2F in 45-70's. Have been using it for 5 years or so. It shoots as good as I can shoot. I don't see a measurable difference using Swiss 1 1/2.
    If you're talking pistol cartridges, I use Graf 3F for 45 colt, 44-40, 44 S&W, 44 Special/ Magnum, 38 Special, 38 S&W, and 32 S&W. Works great. Also use it in all my C&B revolvers.
    The cost of Graf's is less for a very high quality powder and I pass through Mexico, Missouri every spring on business and pick up a couple cases, avoiding the haz-mat fee.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks I will order some in the morning.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have just had 5lb of Grafs black powder delivered,it is in plastic 1lb containers,I thought that was a no no and the containers had to be metal.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Plastic is pretty much standard now.
    The black color is due to carbon content to prevent static electricity accumulation.