In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Difference in 209 primers

204targetman204targetman Member Posts: 3,493
Says on the blackhorn bottle to use regular shotgun 209 primers instead of blackpowder ones. Whats the difference...

Comments

• Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,226 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Some primers, such as the 777 primer, were developed for inline muzzleloaders. They have less power than regular 209 primers.
    Shooting 777 powder with regular primers causes a ring of crud to develop just ahead of the bullet.
    These low powered 777 primers just about do away with the crud ring.

I am inferring that the 777 primers are not hot enough to get good ignition with the Blackhorn.

Shooting smokeless in the Savage is the same deal, we have to use full powered 209 primers. I use Winchester.
  • Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,169 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    there is also a slight difference in length between the winchester and the cci, winchester are longer.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info guys. I ran back to the gun shop and picked up some regular shotgun primers. They seemed to be a little harder to get off after shooting.
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,226 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The primers vary slightly in size.
    Try several different brands.
    For the Savage, the Remington shotgun primers don't work worth a crap, but the Winchester work great.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by allen griggs
    The primers vary slightly in size.
    Try several different brands.
    For the Savage, the Remington shotgun primers don't work worth a crap, but the Winchester work great.

I'll do that allen. I have a TC Omega. I bought Winchesters. They work OK but are just hard to get out...
  • Options
    grafik0117grafik0117 Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If I might add to Allen Griggs' comment on reduced power and less of a crude ring, you should check out the variflame primer adapter, it's the same size and shape as a 209 primer but can be reprimed with small rifle primers. Check out this write up http://www.muzzleloadingbullets.com/variflame_primer_adapter.html