In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

54cal. flintlock loads?

1shotcleaner1shotcleaner Member Posts: 37 ✭✭
hi fellas i have long shot caplock but new this season to flintlocks. i have a renagade 54 tc. i normaly shoot 70gr loose pyrodex RS and a 320 gr buffalow. that has ben my sledge hammer for about 5 years and i do the same for my son but its with apatched round ball. what should i try or start out with? all shots under 100yards usaly 40-75. is the 54 a powder hog or is a low powder charge going to work in it? i dont like shooting with high powder charges especialy over 100gr i have a few socalled magnums, but they kick like hell and the bounce is just a waste of powder to me. so if some of you flinters have a load for me to try with a 535 patched 15thou prelubed pillow, or i have a box of 375gr buck slayers they look like a buffalow bullet they are prelubed, then let me know. i lost my hunting buddy just befor gun deer season opened here in pa and that took the wind out of my sails but im going to move on and try somthing we never did.hopefuly this will help me let him go. and yet take him with me hunting. other than my son he was my only hunting partner. he interduced me to blackpowder hunting.im going to miss him.

Comments

• Options
    Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,196 ******
    edited November -1
    I shot 70FFFg in my .54 flinter and had good results. You just have to try loads out and see what it likes. BTW, I shot 60 FFFg out of my .50.
  • Options
    1shotcleaner1shotcleaner Member Posts: 37 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i shot 80gr patched round ball .530 it felt good . not hitting like i want
  • Options
    liftkiltliftkilt Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    1shot,
    What powder are you using? I use Goex as it it shoots better than Smith, Elephant and Swiss. For my 54 I am using 75 grains of FFF. Also, what distance are you shooting? I won't fire my 54 at over 60 yards (of course I use my 45 flint at up to 100 yards). The 54 drops too fast over distance and I have been too lazy to compensate. Good Luck.