In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Spencer Rifle

Dana HaymanDana Hayman Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
Hello, anyone out there shoot a spencer rifle 56/50. I'm looking into buying one, but would like to use it for 200yd silhouette shooting, does it have the range for this. Original vs new any ideas.

Thanks Dana

Comments

• 44caliberkid44caliberkid Member Posts: 925 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 56-50 is just a big pistol round, like a .50 caliber 45 Colt. 200 yards would be a maximum range and probably would have a trajectory like a rainbow. If you are a very skilled shooter, you could probably make it work.
  • Dana HaymanDana Hayman Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks For the Forum and PM responses.
    Dana
  • steve45steve45 Member Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Im not exactly sure as I've never handled a Spencer before but I think I've read that the originals were rimfires? If so they would be difficult to reload.
  • JohnnyBGoodJohnnyBGood Member Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by steve45
    Im not exactly sure as I've never handled a Spencer before but I think I've read that the originals were rimfires? If so they would be difficult to reload.

You can buy a new centerfire breechblock/conversion unit, and use cutdown 50-70 centerfire brass. Since the original breechblock is not altered you are not affecting the originality of the rifle. There are also new/reproductions being made of the Spencer in CF calibers.

John