In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.45 LC ammunition for carry

cmbtengr71cmbtengr71 Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
Hello, I have recently purchased a Pietta .44 Remington NMA from Cabelas and plan on purchasing conversion cylinders from Fall Creek Sutler. My question regards whether the Ultramax or Black Hills .45LC RNFP Cowboy load in 250 gr. is a suitable load for carry while hiking, camping, and perhaps home defense? If not, is there an equivalent modern loading for use in the Pietta? Any information on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    krazy4kragskrazy4krags Member Posts: 39 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Howdy!
    I haven't looked at mine in a while, but if you use the R&D conversion cylinder it has a limit of how high a pressure load you can use. It relegates use to "cowboy action loads" which are not very strong. For defensive carry I would find another firearm to use. IF this is all you have, then I might suggest that a big lead bullet traveling at even a nominal speed is better than risking damage to your firearm or yourself.

Best Regards!
  • Options
    44caliberkid44caliberkid Member Posts: 925 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Either of the cowboy loads will be Ok in your NMA, but not as a steady diet. The 45 Colt at 830 fps has killed a lot of people throughout history, so I'm sure it would be fine for defense. After all, it was the US Army issue load for over 30 years.
    I load black powder and round ball in 45 Colt cases for my MNA with R&D cylinder. The strength issue isn't with the cylinder, it is with the 1858 frame. A 250 grain bullet is twice the weight of the round ball it normally fires. So you have that weight slamming into the forcing cone and going down the barrel and it is possible to stretch the top strap. I've personally seen a Remington repro suddenly develope a 1/4 inch barrel to cylinder gap. It twisted the top strap too.
  • Options
    Nite RyderNite Ryder Member Posts: 31 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have three Ruger Old Armies, all with R&D conversion cylinders, however, I would never ever consider using any of them for your intended purposes. They do shoot and are accurate, but slow to load and not a good carry gun unless you are just going to an outhouse...
  • Options
    minitruck83minitruck83 Member Posts: 5,369
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Nite Ryder
    I have three Ruger Old Armies, all with R&D conversion cylinders, however, I would never ever consider using any of them for your intended purposes. They do shoot and are accurate, but slow to load and not a good carry gun unless you are just going to an outhouse...

Was just picturing you setting the cob box on fire shooting at a rat!

[:D]

sorry

Allen