In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Muzzle Loading Questions

milsurplusmilsurplus Member Posts: 221 ✭✭✭
Are Euro Arms and Palmetto Arms of Italy safe and reliable muzzleloaders, as Euro Arms makes a .58 caliber Mississippi Rifle and Palmetto makes a .58 caliber 1855 US Dragoon Pistol that I was interested in?

Who are the good muzzleloader sellers to buy from?

Are the Pedersoli Kodiak Double barreled rifle and Howdah Double barreled pistol considered safe and reliable, being that I have heard that it is supposedly possible for the firing of one barrel to move the ball or sabot slightly up the barrel?

How do you know if the patched round is really seated properly?

Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    You might want to post your questions in the Blackpowder forum:

http://forums.gunbroker.com/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=13
  • Options
    milsurplusmilsurplus Member Posts: 221 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Moderators, could you please integrate Fletcher Pastore's comment from the other Muzzleloaders question to this one?
    Thanks.
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,242 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have not heard of that problem with the Kodiak or the Howdah.

The only complaint I have heard of the Kodiak is that it is heavy.

I have talked to several people who shoot the Howdah and they like it!
    That is a cool looking pistol, I would love to get one.

Cabela's is a good muzzleloading dealer, also dixiegun.com

I bought a cap and ball pistol from Bass Pro. It is sold under the Traditions label. It is an 1860 Colt Army.
    It is made by Pietta and is a nice pistol.

Bass Pro has quite a selection of black powder guns and accessories.
  • Options
    bigbossmanbigbossman Member Posts: 154 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As to round balls being seated properly, load your gun while it is absolutely clean so you know the ball is all the way down, then just mark your ramrod with a knife scratch or permanent marker line at the muzzle. After that, as long as the rod goes down to the mark you know what you are dealing with.
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,242 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here is an interesting discussion of the Howdah pistol:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=398033
  • Options
    bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I used to have a Kodiak .72 double and the recoil isn't sharp, but it does move you back. When I first got it I found some minnie balls and since they fit loose and expand when fired, I found them to move when the other barrel was fired - up to 1/2". However, when I switched to a patched roundball, it was greatly reduced. I later went with a thicker patch and from then on it never moved.

I don't know if a 1/2" would be enough to cause damage in a muzzleloader or not. I have to think that happened back in the day on both double shotgun and rifles.
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.