In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

T/C Renegade .54 cal loads....Update

bull300wsmbull300wsm Member Posts: 3,289
I recently purchased a used but like new Renegade and was wondering if anyone could help me . I tried a patched round ball with 60 grains of 777 at 25 yards and the results weren't good. I got about a 4 too 6 inch group. Also on all of the shots the patch had a big hole blown in the middle. I am using Hornaday .530 balls and a T/C .10 patch.
I have used the same setup ,except for ball size of course, in my son's .50 cal and it will one hole them a 25 yards. Also the patch does not have a hole in the center but the cross look instead. Any ideas...thanks in advance....bull

Comments

• Options
    tomahawktomahawk Member Posts: 11,826
    edited November -1
    try about 110 gr. volume bull..and that cross on the patch is supposed to be like that if your loading right.
    grains is a weight measure for black powder..put yuor measure on 110 and fill it with 777...that is volume...it might not weigh the same but fills the same space...rule of thumb...take the caliber x2...that is your powder load.....54x2=108 or 108 grains.. 110 works real good in mine[;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tomahawk
    try about 110 gr. volume bull..and that cross on the patch is supposed to be like that if your loading right.
    grains is a weight measure for black powder..put yuor measure on 110 and fill it with 777...that is volume...it might not weigh the same but fills the same space...rule of thumb...take the caliber x2...that is your powder load.....54x2=108 or 108 grains.. 110 works real good in mine[;)]

Thanks for the reply Tomahawk , my problem is the patch has a hole blown in it after each shot and not the cross...is the patch not thick enough or something else?...thanks bull
  • Options
    tomahawktomahawk Member Posts: 11,826
    edited November -1
    did you lube the patch? are you sure the patch was tight against the powder? most important is 60 gr is too light a charge...it is burning the patch at ignition..a common sign of not enough powder...the charge should push the load away from the charge as the charge ignites,and still be burning as the load leaves the barrel....with little powder the flash is burning the patch, which will cause accuracy issues due to gasses getting around the ball[;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tomahawk
    did you lube the patch? are you sure the patch was tight against the powder? most important is 60 gr is too light a charge...it is burning the patch at ignition..a common sign of not enough powder...the charge should push the load away from the charge as the charge ignites,and still be burning as the load leaves the barrel....with little powder the flash is burning the patch, which will cause accuracy issues due to gasses getting around the ball[;)]

Thank you kind sir...[^]..I bet that will work...bull
  • Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    sounds more like a bad spot in the barrell and the rifleling is cutting the patch, I had the same trouble with a 50 cal. renegade, had to shoot undersized patches, 490 round ball and 005 patch only way I could reload without beating the ball down, only downsize was accuracy. I shot 90-100 grains black powder. I played with it for years till I finally got mad enough to trade it off. I even put lead solvent in the barrell for a couple nights drained it then ran a wire brush on a drill attachement down it, never did have any luck. hope you have better luck.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by hillbille
    sounds more like a bad spot in the barrell and the rifleling is cutting the patch, I had the same trouble with a 50 cal. renegade, had to shoot undersized patches, 490 round ball and 005 patch only way I could reload without beating the ball down, only downsize was accuracy. I shot 90-100 grains black powder. I played with it for years till I finally got mad enough to trade it off. I even put lead solvent in the barrell for a couple nights drained it then ran a wire brush on a drill attachement down it, never did have any luck. hope you have better luck.

Thanks hillbille , I hope that it is not a bad spot...bull
  • Options
    44mag44mag Member Posts: 271 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use a Renegade in 54 cal for deer each season. The load that works for me is; a .20 patch, either the good pillow ticking or a Ox-Yoke .20. I use Bore Butter for a lube, if praticeing just use spit. The charge is 80 gr of FFg black powder with a .530 round ball of pure lead. This load will hold 3-4" at 100 yards all day long. I realize that what works in my rifle may not work in yours but, this is a starting point for you.
    If you have a tight spot in the bore lap it out by useing a cast lead plug with very fine valve grinding compound and go slow.[:)]
  • Options
    leadfordeadleadfordead Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Congratz on the TC. I bought one back when the 7.7 Jap was costing $1.00 each shot. Around early 70's Wish those days were back. Anyway make sure the bullet is all the way down. I have a ram rod marked at my loads. For close 25 to 50 yard I use measured 50 for round ball with pillow ticking cut after ball is started. For hunting I use 110 measured with a Mini both lubbed with bore butter. Love the smell in the morning.I only use black not the sub. Good luck
  • Options
    edited November -1
    All right guys I finally had time to mess with my Renegade and I still have a problem. I upped my charge too 80 grains of 777 with a .530 ball and .010 patch. I retrieved a couple of the patches and the same thing happened as before..a hole blown clean through the patch. Accuracy was the same , terrible..shots were off the bench @ 25 yards. I brought it home ,cleaned it like I always do and thought I would try something. I loaded it with JUST a patch and round ball all the way and then blew it out with a CO2 discharger. When I looked at the patch it had 3 or 4 cuts on it...does that mean the barrel has a bad spot in it?....Thanks for any replies...bull
  • Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    my .02 cent would be yes. that was the same thing my renegade did, I even chucked a wire brush in a cordless drill and worked it in and out of the barrell, this didn't help any. I was told in a local muzzleloading shop it was probubly a bad spot in the barrell and the patch was tearing on the way down, then the ball would knuckleball down the barrell without the center of the patch. I went to undersized patches .05 with a 490 round ball which did help to keep the patch together but accuracy never did come around. Hope you can figure yours out. I finally got mad and sold mine.