In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

TCA Hawken 45 cal

rongrong Member Posts: 8,459
Hello , does anybody
have any experience with
the TC Hawken 45 cal by TC?
Good or bad.
Thanks rong

Comments

• Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,230 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, I have quite a bit of experience with the .50
    This is the classic American muzzleloader. It is well built. It is a great hunting rifle, and I have killed 6 deer and 5 wild hogs with mine.
    I always shot the round ball and black powder.

The .45 is a good game getter as well, of course not quite the power of the .50 but I'm sure it would do fine on deer or hogs up to 100 yards.

I know a guy who killed 120 deer with his homemade .45 flintlock long rifle, using round ball, longest shot `115 yards.
  • Options
    glockman40swglockman40sw Member Posts: 105 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a TC Hawken and it is a very good muzzleloader. It is very well made and shoots very accurately. I have taken deer with it on numerous occasions. I currently shoot 240gr. maxi balls with 100gr of powder which is a very accurate and deadly combination. As far as I am concerned there isn't a better Hawken made commercially than the TC Hawken.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have many questions,
    I've never shot round ball.
    I bought various thicknesses
    of lubed patches but they are so
    expensive. what do you guys use
    and what should i look out for
    when loading? Can you put 2 patches
    under one ball
  • Options
    Fletcher PastoreFletcher Pastore Member Posts: 19 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Thompson Center Hawkin is one of the best quality muzzle loaders you can buy. These rifles shoot the Maxi ball very well. If you are going to shoot patched ball in your rifle it will require a .440 ball with a .015 to .018 patch. For hunting you will get more range from the Maxi ball. Round balls tend to lose velosity rather quickly.
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,230 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For cheap patches, buy pillow ticking and cut your own.
    Also, get a tin of Old Zip patch lube, made of mutton tallow like Davy Crockett used. Works great.

Both available at dixiegun.com

Fletcher is right, the round ball loses velocity quickly.
    But, at close range it is an unbelievable deer killer. Hogs, too.
    My longest shot with the .50 was 80 yards, but as I said, I know the .45 is effective out to 120.
    I wouldn't use the round ball past 100 yards.

Of the 6 deer and 5 hogs I killed with the round ball, all were pass through lung shots. Really, I wanted to examine the ball to see how it performed, but no dice. None of the animals made 50 yards. A blood trail Stevie Wonder could follow.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks Allen and all
    rong
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I received my Hawkens 45
    last nite, around the nipple
    a bit of corrosion I can clean up
    and some of the stock has scars.
    any tips on making the scars
    go away without re-dong the stock?
    she's a heavy gun,a little barrel
    strong prolly weighs as much if not
    more than my 54 renegade.
  • Options
    krazy4kragskrazy4krags Member Posts: 39 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    "I know a guy who killed 120 deer with his homemade .45 flintlock long rifle, using round ball, longest shot `115 yards."

IN A ROW?[:p]