In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Henry rifle

Scout53Scout53 Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
Are the Henry Big Boy rifles, manufactured by the Henry Company, allowed in Cowboy Action Shooting events?
Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    ken44-40ken44-40 Member Posts: 201 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Unfortunately, Yes.
  • Options
    photogroupphotogroup Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Why do you say 'unfortunately yes'? Do the Henry Big Boys have problems or do you consider them bad for other reasons?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    1. Due to the way they were added. The maker marketed tham as SASS legal before they were even discussed, or a request was made. [V]
    2. They are not a replica of anything made during the period. [V]
    3. I haven't seen one that would finish a match without hiccuping or jamming up. [B)]
    4. They're butt ugly and offend my sensibilities; but, then I'm overly sensitive sometimes [;)]
  • Options
    photogroupphotogroup Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    ken44-40,
    I think you make some pretty valid points, although I don't know if I agree completely with them.

I've owned a Henry Big Boy in 45 LC for about 6 months now and although I've only shot 1 CAS event so far, I've put about 500 rounds through it.

To me, I could care less whether a sponsoring organization like Henry back doors a product before officially being accepted by SASS. To me, they met the spirit of the rules by being a lever action rifle that's mechanically similar to the period guns from Winchester. I can't see where they wouldn't be allowed.

Which brings me to point 2. The Ruqer Vaquero also isn't a replica, but is close enough to satisfy the spirit of the rules. Having said that, I shoot USFA SAA replicas and absolutely love the authenticity of them (although the cylinder is a hair bigger than the originals). I also would love to end up with a nice Winchester 73 replica but the price of the Henry is about half the Uberti's.

As to reliabilty, I initially had problems with the action. They were caused by a combination of my reloads being about 5 thou too long, then with my 'timid' working of the lever. Since then, I don't have any more issues, although I think that the Uberti 1866 replica I've also shot has a much smoother action. Again, the Henry falls into a less expensive class than the Uberti though.

Issue 4 is pretty subjective. I kind of think the Henry Big Boys look very cool. I also like the looks of the straight replicas a lot too though.

In the end, I don't regret buying the Henry. Its reasonably priced, American made, shoots and points very well, and is a blast to use. I'll end up with an Uberti, or better still, an American made 1866 or 1873 some day, but for a starter lever gun, a guy could do a lot worse.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Photogroup,

We'll have to agree to disagree on 1.

Item 2, I guess you could argue that the Henry Big Boy is a logical progression in the evolution of the original Winchesters. I wouldnt buy it; but you could argue it. As to the Rugers, they are really what started this game. Not continuing to allow them at this point wouldn't be right. I don't think they're period correct and don't own any, probably never will. If the Henry Big Boy had been around at the same time, it probably would have been allowed then too.

Item 3, I'm glad you have thrashed yours out to where it is working for you. I've watched some shooters fight with theirs month after month without much success. The only thing I've experienced rougher than a Henry was a new Rossi '92. My '66 carbine was slick and smooth out of the box, and other than a new stock firing pin and main spring, is still box stock.

And 4. I told you I can be oversensitive sometimes (:o)]

Good on you for buying a reasonably priced, American made rifle that works. I'll stick with my Uberti made Henry, '66, and '73; and my AWA Lightning (another American made rifle). And yes, my Lightning works just fine.

FM
  • Options
    Layne12gunLayne12gun Member Posts: 178 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The best part is you bought and AMERICAN MADE rifle Made here in the good old USA Not in Italy, Turkey, Russia, Good for you on the purchase of your HENRY I have one in .357 and love it..
  • Options
    44caliberkid44caliberkid Member Posts: 925 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Vaquero may not be a "replica" but you would have a hard time telling one from a Colt clone at 20 yards and even closer for the NM Vaquero. However, I can spot a Henry Big Boy at 100 yards, mainly because it screams, "I'm big and I'm ugly!"
    However, I love the Henry .22, blued with octagon barrel, classy little shooter. And Henry's have great warranty service.