In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Colt 45 SAA Question On Certain Ammo

COLT_45_SAACOLT_45_SAA Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
New Member Here & Howdy All! I Posted this to the general
discussion forum in error which should be here.....

Recently I was lucky enough to obtain a brand new unfired 2nd
generation Colt 45 SAA in 7 1/2. (Manufactured 1970 based on
serial number ending in 54---SA

Picked up all the following new factory ammo with it they had.
Want to make sure it's all safe to shoot from the experts here.
Yep.....I'm gonna shoot & enjoy it for our western days locally.

The ammo purchased was all they had is:

1)45 COLT Winchester Bonded PDX1 225-JHP

2)45 COLT Winchester Super X 255-Lead Round Nose

3)45 COLT Blazer 200-JHP Aluminum Case

4)45 COLT Spear Gold Dot Personal Protection 250-GDHP

5)45 COLT Hornady Lever-Evolution 225-FTX

Appreciate any input from ya all-But don't tell me not to shoot it :)
Also I can pick up some Buffalo Standard 45 Long Colts-Any good?

Comments

• Options
    elubsmeelubsme Member Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Robert, Colt SAA's typically need a break in period of 500-1000 rounds. I live in Susanville and will be making the trip to Reno tomorrow. I will be happy to perform this task for you. Naturally there will be no charge & my turn around time is guaranteed to be less than 6 months.[;)]. Personally, I would conduct accuracy tests with the various ammunition and settle on the brand & weight that shoots closest to poi in your fixed sighted revolver. I'm guessing it will be the Winchester 255 grain lead. Save all your cases. When the ammo is exhausted, go to Sportsman's Warehouse and buy some reloading equipment, if you don't already have it. I have gotten some good buys on the G.B. auction side, search reloading. I agree with you about shooting it, your heirs are gonna sell it when you are gone[:0] & you wouldn't have gotten any enjoyment out of it. Eddie
  • Options
    44caliberkid44caliberkid Member Posts: 925 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Other than really hot 45 Colt loads that are for Ruger's and Freedon Arms revolvers you should be Ok with any factory ammo.
  • Options
    COLT_45_SAACOLT_45_SAA Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by elubsme
    Robert, Colt SAA's typically need a break in period of 500-1000 rounds. I live in Susanville and will be making the trip to Reno tomorrow. I will be happy to perform this task for you. Naturally there will be no charge & my turn around time is guaranteed to be less than 6 months.[;)]. Personally, I would conduct accuracy tests with the various ammunition and settle on the brand & weight that shoots closest to poi in your fixed sighted revolver. I'm guessing it will be the Winchester 255 grain lead. Save all your cases. When the ammo is exhausted, go to Sportsman's Warehouse and buy some reloading equipment, if you don't already have it. I have gotten some good buys on the G.B. auction side, search reloading. I agree with you about shooting it, your heirs are gonna sell it when you are gone[:0] & you wouldn't have gotten any enjoyment out of it. Eddie

Hey Eddie! LOL!

Thanx for your offer to help & golly gee at no charge...The least I can do is bring the SAA up 395 north to you for the break in :)

All kidding aside thanx for the heads up guys....I agree on the
    Winchesters Eddie-To bad they only had the one box of 20. Reloading
    is next when I recover from the payment for the gun!