In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Scoping a ML

dpmuledpmule Member Posts: 6,652 ✭✭✭✭
I will be going Illinois for a ML hunt this year.
I want to stack the deck in my favor as much as possible, What is the consenus on the Leupold scope made for ML?

Worth it or just as simple to buy a VX-II or III, so that it could be later used on centerfire rifles ?

Comments

• allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,222 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Any good centerfire rifle scope will work fine on a muzzleloader.
    I use a Sightron S2 3-9 on my fierce Savage, it works great.
  • anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm originally from Illinois, but have not lived/hunted there for many years. Before getting a scope I'd make sure that it is legal in Illinois during ML season. Some states do not allow scopes during primitive firearm seasons.

Secondly, unless you are going to be hunting in open land, I'd just go with the iron sights. I don't like scopes for hunting with shots less than 100 yards. But that is just a personal choice. Bonne chasse!
  • wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Check with your gun manufacturer as well for things to know...
  • KX500KX500 Member Posts: 733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I switched to the VX-1 3-9 X 40 years ago and have liked it a lot. Obviously a VX-II or III would be even better.

To me the keys to putting the right scope on a muzzleloader or shotgun are sufficent eye relief and going with high enough quality. The Leupold's have about 4" eye relief (3.75" would be about the least I'd be OK with) and are high enough quality.

Most other rifle scopes don't have enough eye relief for me. If you stay with a Leupold, I see no reason to spend extra for their scope made for a muzzleloader. If you go to another brand, you may have to use a scope made for a ML just to get enough eye relief.

I recently bought a Redfield Revolution 4-12X40 (made by Leupold). I like it a lot and would say that it seems at least equivalent to the VX-1 series. These also have enough eye relief.

And I am certianly of the 'use a scope' camp. I've killed too many deer in that first or last 1/2 hour of legal shooting light where I would not have been able to clearly see open sights.
  • anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yup, I do agree with KX500 a scope does help out in that first or last 30 minutes of hunting. Another thing it could do it give a better chance to look over the antlers before deciding whether or not to pass. Otherwise ... I'm sticking to my iron sights. As I said before, if it is legal ... the choice is yours ... to each his own.