In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Need some advice

Walley19Walley19 Member Posts: 118 ✭✭✭
I have decided to purchase another rifle to use as a loaner for hunting season. I don?_Tt want to spend a whole lot of money for it and as it stands now I am inclined to get either a CVA Buckhorn or the Traditions Buckstalker. Which one would you guys advise me to get.

Comments

• Options
    bobbyrose512bobbyrose512 Member Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=159546163

You might want to look at knight rifles. Have had good luck with them. Just bought one like this for my son-in-law.

I also own a Traditions Buckhunter with a 1-32 twist. can use conical bullets or round ball.

With any of them you will have to shoot and work up a load for them. there is several on the auction side that are $250 and below.
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,240 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Knight Wolverine is a great classic muzzleloader.

Here is one new in box, buy it now for $189.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=158789300

If you dig around you might find one for $110.
    You couldn't beat a Wolverine.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I did own a Knight at one time and didn?_Tt much care for it. I didn?_Tt like having to use the plastic jackets. I hunt and shoot with cap locks and am looking for a loaner that is easer for a novice to deal with. I have read quite a few reviews about the Buckhorn recommending it and very little about the Buckstalker. What do you guys know about either one.
  • Options
    anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do you want to get an in-line or a percussion cap muzzle loader for you hunting loaner? You can easily get a good one used for short money? They are listed on GB all the time. That's where I got one of mine. Getting a used muzzle loader is a bit of a chance, because your definition of the bore condition may be a bit different than the sellers. But you've got almost a year to find what you want.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I definitely want to get an inline as a loaner. The only one I own was a gift from my grandson for my 70th birthday and I hate to loan it to anyone. As far as a used gun goes I have bought a few and they all needed help. I look at it this way; the two guns I am considering can be purchased new for what most used guns are selling for. I figured that now would be the best time of the year to get prepared for next season because several vendors are now having good sales and I think their prices will go up as the season approaches
  • Options
    aw3olaw3ol Member Posts: 583 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've been smuzzing for about a year, and damn near purchased a set of saa, in my mind it's a question of rights, and haveing to justify my actions. When I get into it a larger calibur is the question? I'm not wanting the 357/38spl, but rather a commerative, rustics and airlooms are very interesting also. I've noticed 38/40 as a calibur of intrest chambered s&w and my question are the varibles... 38/40,55,56,70 LC?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Since you are going for an in-line, I'd suggest getting a T/C Omega 50 ... used or new. I don't like the "bolt" type of in-line muzzle loaders. They are probably the cheapest. But even for a loaner, the person using it may want to (or at least he should!) practice with it, and if you ask me (and you did) the "bolt" type muzzle loaders are for the birds.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I ended up buying the Buckstalker break action inline at a very good price. As far as T/C products go in my opinion they are over priced for a weapon that will only be used for a few weeks each year. I agree that anyone seriously intending to hunt with a muzzleloader should spend the time to familiarize themselves with the weapon but all to often the person wanting to borrow a smoke pole got skunked during the regular firearms season and bought a black powder license to see if they could get lucky. For me it is hard to turn down a neighbor or friend down when they come to me to get something to fill their tags with.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Sad to say, but if a person got skunked during gun season and went out quick to get a license for the muzzle loader season ... well, without practice with a muzzle loader, his chances of getting skunked are even greater. Hope he enjoys the woods!

Break action in-line is probably a good way to go.
  • Options
    HandLoadHandLoad Member Posts: 15,998
    edited November -1
    If legal in your Jurisdiction, the easy to clean, easy to set-up CVA ELECTRA is only $206, Brand New, after Rebate. .50Cal, Stainless Barrel. No Primers. Shoots PowerBelts/Saboted Bullets best, with a Twist of 1/28. Synthetic Stock. Scope rail Included, along with Sling.