In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

45/120 kick

hookmanhookman Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
can anyone tell me what to expect from a 34 inch heavy barreled sharps 45/120? i shoot a 45/70 hi wall and need more range , mine is not bad ,loads of fun and not to expensive. if i get a 120 will it be too much. cant seem to find a 120 shooter to advise me thanks capt nat

Comments

• Options
    thx6nbthx6nb Member Posts: 62 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi there
    Maybe I'm just a wuss but I sure didn't care for mine too much. It was an absolutely beatiful rifle in every respect, but the recoil took all the fun out of shooting it after about 10 rounds an outting in any position when loaded to the rifles potential.I currently own and shoot large calibre rifles (up to and including a .470 nitro express) but this was definitely an experience with no recoil pad and a steel butt plate. They are also rather hard to find in 45/120 by 3-1/4" and the reloading dies and brass are expensive. I sold mine with some regrets for an obscene ammout of money to someone who just had to have it which definitely eased the pain of the sale. Just for reference I'm 6ft. 2 inches and weigh around 190 lbs. Good luck I hope this helps some maybe you're just tougher than I was. They are a real experience but rather hard to sell if you decide it's too much gun, for that very reason.
  • Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    I had a 45-110 Ballard for several years, and enjoyed it alot. I didn't think the recoil was bad atall. I still own 2 45-70s and shoot them quite abit, there isn't to much differance in recoil between them and the 45-110.
    W.D.
  • Options
    DeOpressoDeOpresso Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I own several replica sharps and one real Sharps. My replica 45-120 also has a 34" brl. With the sights, extra brl length and a couple different front sight options in the patch box, the recoil is not all that bad. Not much more than the real Sharps with a 34" brl in 45-70.
  • Options
    spitpatchspitpatch Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Can't understand needing more range than the 45-70 will give you. Many 45-70 shooters do well in the creedmore match. Thats 800-900& 1000 yds. I know it's been won with a 45-70 a time or two. I doubt very much if any one would want to shoot a full match with a 45-120. Yes I have shot a 120. Just my 2 cents.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The leading Long Range BPCR shooters stop short of the 3 1/4" case.
    Most will use either the 2.4" (.45-90) or 2 7/8" (.45-110), the 2.6" (.45-100) case having been pretty much bypassed.

Kenny Wasserburger, founder of the Wasserburger Mile shoot, likes the 2 7/8" case. That ought to be enough more range.
  • Options
    DeOpressoDeOpresso Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I, too, have a 45-120. I bought is during the 3 1/2 years I waited for my Sharps from Big Timber. "Big Thunder" as she is called is a truely beautiful thing. 34", fancy wood, long range sights, 405 projectile. I thought the recoil might be bad, but most of it is taken up by the weight of the piece. A real joy to shoot.