In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Mix Suggestion for .45 Colt in 228 gr

1988z011988z01 Member Posts: 602 ✭✭✭✭
Hey Folks:

I am NEW to casting. I have reloaded all my life. I bought my Colt SAA .45 several months ago, and came across deals here and there on other items. Well, now I have a Lee mold for a .452 / 228 gr RN.

I have lead of unknown mix that most likely came from bullet molds.

I need some suggestions on what to mix before I ruin everything. I haven't bought any books yet on the subject, and a good one to suggest would be great too.

Comments

• Options
    elubsmeelubsme Member Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have waited awhile for someone else to answer your question because I am unclear about what you mean. If your question concerns the unknown makeup of the lead that you are going to use to cast bullets, I don't think you have anything to worry about if you are using recovered bullets. Back in the old days I used battery lead to make bullets, severely condemned today, but I am 67 & still of sound mind, no brain damage! I think! Zinc is the ruination of cast bullets. A little will ruin an entire batch of mix. I use to melt reclaimed jacketed bullets. This too is dangerous as the inside can melt first & cause a blow out (pot eruption) I suggest separating these & putting aside. During your initial melt, please do it outside. You don't want a hole in your kitchen table or floor. I always "clean" the salvaged lead & pour it into ingots. Then I use the clean ingot lead to make bullets. You don't have to flux this first melt. Get a book on bullet casting. Flux your melt with wax, light the smoke with a match to avoid smoke. Marvelux is better if you can find it. You will need an old spoon to skim off the dross, insulate the spoon with duct tape so you don't burn your fingers. Stay 50 feet away from any water (sweat is water) so is Coke or coffee. Wear eye protection. Using two molds speeds up the operation, allowing one to cool while using the other. I usually cast six & swap. Any questions[?] I'll be glad to help Welcome to a whole new hobby. BTW if you need lead, Fleabay has tons of it, search HUNTING then MOLDS. Don't let the shipping scare you off, they use the flat rate & maximum is about 12.00. You can get some linotype to mix in with your mix & it will really improve your percentage of "good" bullets. Also check the auction side for casting equipment search reloading. dayemm did I get carried away or not[:D][:D][:D] Eddie
  • Options
    1988z011988z01 Member Posts: 602 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for posting. As far as a mix goes, I was wanting to know how to approach unknown lead sources. I have a lot, but do not know the make up. I was also wanting to know about how much flux per pound of lead when casting.