In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Replica Percussion Revolver Collectors

bprevolverbprevolver Member Posts: 153 ✭✭✭
There is a new Forum (that does not compete with Gun Broker)especially for replica percussion revolver collectors. There are many excellent forums like Gun Broker that deal with all aspects of black powder but none specifically for the collector of replica percussion revolvers. Check it out:

http://blackpowdersmoke.com/revolvers/index.php

Comments

• mbsamsmbsams Member Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Replicas are for shootin' Originals are for collectin'
  • beffabeffa Member Posts: 47 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    10-4 mbsams,

What could be the value of italian made crap anyway.
  • ken44-40ken44-40 Member Posts: 201 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Quote Beffa:
    What could be the value of italian made crap anyway.
    With an attitude like that, you'd definitely be surprised
  • awindsawinds Member Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey, Dr. Jim.....
    How's the book coming ??
    I still want one.[:)]
  • bprevolverbprevolver Member Posts: 153 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It appears that beffa isn't aware that the new Colt percussion revolvers were made from that Italian crap.
  • machine gun moranmachine gun moran Member Posts: 5,198
    edited November -1
    The late generations of Colt percussion revolvers were made of major parts that were produced in Italy, with the minor parts being U.S. - made, and with the fitting, assembly, and finishing being done by Iver Johnson. It was all coordinated by Lou Imperato, between Colt, Iver, and the Italians.

The steel used by Uberti, incidentally, has been described as being 'beyond 4140'. But then again, the Italians built engines for seaplane racers in the '20's and '30's that ran the a** off everything. [:)]
  • dandak1dandak1 Member Posts: 450 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by machine gun moran
    The late generations of Colt percussion revolvers were made of major parts that were produced in Italy, with the minor parts being U.S. - made, and with the fitting, assembly, and finishing being done by Iver Johnson. It was all coordinated by Lou Imperato, between Colt, Iver, and the Italians.

You are quite right MGM except what you describe is the second generation Colt percussions (1974-1982). The 3rd gen Colts (AKA Signature series, 1995-2004) were not assembled by Iver Johnson but by a firm in New York City (!) under license by Colt. The second and 3rd gen Colt percussions are in a class by themselves...I have owned and still own several of each and they are a cut above the Italian replicas. My 3rd gen 1851 Navy has been shot thousands of times since I got it in 1997 and it has held up (ie: stayed in time and still locks up like a bank vault) better than any Italian replica I have shot. However, I do NOT consider the Italian replicas crap. Some of the Ubertis are magnificient revolvers at a decent price. What i DONT like about them is those darn proof marks stamped on them. The Colt 2nd and 3rd, being assembled and fit and finished here in the US dont have those billboards (as I call them) stamped on them.
    BPrevolver, thanks for the link....I joined a few weeks ago but have been pressed for time to do much browsing of it..maybe this weekend.
  • ken44-40ken44-40 Member Posts: 201 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Almost Dandak1; but not quite. 2nd Generation Colt Blackpowder revolvers were made from 1971 through 1982. The C series at Colt in Hartford (1971-1976), and the F Series by Iver Johnson in Middlesex, NJ (1977-1982). The Signature Series (AKA - 3rd Generation) line was produced from 1996 through 2002 in New York by The Colt Blackpowder Arms Company under license form Colt's Manufacturing.