In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Heat verses fire

n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
I heard today from an experienced rifle black powder builder that heat and not flame ignite a black [:)]powder charge,

Is this true?

Sage 1

Comments

• Winston BodeWinston Bode Member Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't believe that this is true. The small hole in the nipple or the hole between the flash pan and chamber pin points the flame as it comes through the hole and onto the powder charge. If heat was all it took then there would be no need for a hole.

Just my opinion.

Bode
  • Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,191 ******
    edited November -1
    Heat will set one off as a friend who tried to dry his out behind his wood stove found out[:0].
    I do not know the temp of the sparks that come from my flint and frizzen, but, I do know that if the sparks are not there, there is no boom.
    No spark, no heat, no boom.
    Heat alone will set it off. I do not think it possible to have flame or spark without heat. So, in theory, you must have heat.
    If you can figure out how to have spark without heat the theory could be tested. [;)]
  • ofitgofitg Member Posts: 359 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    According to the book, Chemistry of Powder & Explosives, blackpowder will ignite when heated to approximately 190 degrees Fahrenheit.