In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Need to know about shipping Blackpowder pistol

trolleytrouttrolleytrout Member Posts: 49 ✭✭
Need to know about shipping Blackpowder pistol

I'm selling a F.LLI PIETTA Black Powder REVOLVER PISTOL .36 Navy & a Vest-Pocket Derringer .32 cal. Percussion Black Powder. Can I just ship these USPS or do I need to ship through an FFL?
both are replica

Comments

• Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,242 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In most cases, no you do not need an FFL, these are muzzleloaders according to federal law.

However some local and state laws are more strict.
    Don't try to ship to New Jersey.
    Also, Washington DC is strict, and NY city, also Chicago and, I believe, the whole state of Illinois.

Where are you, and to where do you want to ship these guns?
  • Options
    bobbyrose512bobbyrose512 Member Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just mail them in a flat rate box. The last 2 pistols and 1 rifle I received through the post office.

Add a statement to the auction

(You must be 18 yrs old to bid on this auction. A Copy of your VALID State ID or Drivers License and a signed written statement that you are over 18 yrs old and legally able to purchase and posess this muzzleloader in your locale IS REQUIRED.(You may email these to me if you prefer). By bidding you acknowledge you are responsible for knowing and applying your state and local laws.)

This is off a auction on where a seller will not ship black powder parts to.

I do not ship Black Powder stuff to HI; Chicago, IL; NJ; New York City; D.C.; Canada or Puerto Rico.

Post a link I'm always interested in buying new guns.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks a bunch guys. I kind of figured but had to be sure. I'm sure this question come around quite often
    Thanks again
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I called both my local USPS & UPS and both say "no, I need to go through an FFL" for these unless its going to a meusum or as a curio.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I just called the 1-800 number for USPS and they say I need to ship through an FFL. So I'm not sure where you guys are getting your information but you should look further into it
  • Options
    edited November -1
    You are getting bad information from USPS and UPS.
    Half the employees at these places don't know what they are talking about, and most of them don't like guns.

You ought not to insult people who are trying to help you when you, as you have admitted, don't know what you are talking about.
  • Options
    bobbyrose512bobbyrose512 Member Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just shipped a black powder rifle to my grand daughter. From The commie state of cali to ohio. Did it through UPS for 30 bucks. You do not need to ship through a FFL with a black powder.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    You need to post your problem over on General Discussion.
    You will get advice from guys who are very knowledgable on how to get these guns shipped, in spite of the ignorance and/or anti-gun bigotry on the part of USPS and UPS employees.

Also, very important as I said above, we need to know where you are, and to where you need to ship the pistols.
  • Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    let him waste his money on a FFL, he seems to know everything.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I didn't say I know everything. I talked to my local post master, , called another post office, called USPS and talked to a friend who owns a UPS store. All of them say "no I cannot ship, must go through FFl. I talked to an FFL friend and he said ship it USPS priority.
  • Options
    dandak1dandak1 Member Posts: 450 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by trolleytrout
    I didn't say I know everything. I talked to my local post master, , called another post office, called USPS and talked to a friend who owns a UPS store. All of them say "no I cannot ship, must go through FFl. I talked to an FFL friend and he said ship it USPS priority.

Dont let them get to you trolleytrout. No one else took your comments that way, just a couple who often have issues with others here. Hang in there.
    About the shipping, here is a link that lists the USPS regulations

http://www.cgwgun.com/shipping/usps.aspx

notice in 11.1.1g they define replicas as an antique, then in section 11.2 they state antiqures can be shipped as a curio. However their antique definition appears to be different than the ATF definition of pre-1899. As with all legal matters, consider the advice on this forum to be worth what it cost!!!
    Good luck and let us know what you find out.
  • Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Originally posted by joklirn
    Any gun that uses black powder, regular powder, smokeless powder, or shoots a bullet is classified as a firearm, and if its classified as a firearm you cant carry it concealed with out a permit.

what does this have to do with shipping a black powder pistol???
  • Options
    seattleseattle Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    As Dandak1 mentioned, the USPS understands replicas as curios. I have shipped an 1858 Remington replica by just dragging it to the post office and paying the cost of shipping.

And (OT)...some states do not require a permit/license to carry concealed any longer...Arizona is one.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    seattle:

Are you related to Mr. Seattle?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I took the advise of my FFL friend and let them go USPS Priority. I also brought this question to the good folks here at Gunbroker and their answer was pretty much the same. So there you have it.
  • Options
    AQUAINFLAQUAINFL Member Posts: 48 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Cabela's ships there black powder guns by UPS ,and do not require a FFL.They also have all the restrictions listed in there catalog by state and city .Get a copy of there catalog and learn something.[8D]
  • Options
    AQUAINFLAQUAINFL Member Posts: 48 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Seattle,
    The other 2 states are :Alaska,and Vermont.My state requires a concealed carry weapons permit,which is also good in 30 other states.
  • Options
    spiderfighterspiderfighter Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    friends,
    I called the atf. you CAN ship it either UPS or USPS. seems even ffl holders can ship a cartridge pistol by USPS but not UPS, so it is the "regulations" of the guy accross the counter in most cases. don't declare what it is if they give you grief. I don't think the "law" requires it??? anybody??
  • Options
    River RonRiver Ron Member Posts: 25 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Only an FFL dealer can ship a pistol thru usps, an unlicensed person cannot! You can ship a long gun thru the post office! You do not have to ship it to a FFL but you have to use FED-EX or UPS!
  • Options
    bprevolverbprevolver Member Posts: 153 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    At the present time there are only three major manufacturers of replica percussion revolvers. They are Uberti (now owned by Berretta), Pietta, and Euroarms. There are a few high priced, competition revolvers made and some of these use one or more of the three current manufacturers for parts. Pedersoli makes the Remington New Model Army and Rogers & Spencer (major components probably from Euroarms). Feinwerkbau makes a Rogers & Spencer and ARTAX makes a Remington New Model Army. If anyone is aware of any others please post.
  • Options
    bprevolverbprevolver Member Posts: 153 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Forget the previous reply. It was posted wrong.

The Replica Percussion Revolver Collector's Association has over 950 revolvers in its collection. It sells or trades many revolvers each year to continually enhance its collection. All have been shipped and received by U.S. Priority Mail. Last week I received four new revolvers and am waiting for another three to be delivered. I use a Post Office Box for all these transactions. The only replica revolvers that I have had to go through an FFL were received from New Jersey FFL dealers. This is state law and has nothing to do with the U.S. Post Office or its regulations.

Postal code 12.0 specifically deals with what is mailable and what is not. By definition Antique and Replica firearms are exempt from being not-mailable. Only a fool would walk into a U.S. Post Office and tell some clerk that they are mailing a revolver. Indeed, Postal Regulations specifically states that nothing should be put on a package to indicate that it contains a firearm. There is no law that dictates that anyone has to tell a clerk what is in a package with the exception of what is not in the package, i.e., liquid, explosive, etc. etc. Media Mail is the only package that the Post Office has a right to normally inspect. I had one idiot tell me that his Post Office refused to accept his package after asking him the standard questions about the package containing anything that was explosive and he replied, "It could be if it were loaded".

Use common sense. First, percussion firearms do not require any records, serial numbers, or anything else to be kept under Federal Law. Replica Revolvers do not have to be logged into an FFL's log book. A private individual doesn't have to keep any records on any firearm he owns if he is not an FFL license holder. All this red tape that fearful individuals make for themselves is of their own making and not requirements of any law. What good is a copy of a Drivers License as proof of age when a copy of anyone's Drivers License could be sent?? What good is a Statement of Age when anyone could sign it? These are requirements for FFL holders and maybe some local laws that have requirements for those in business, not for the private individual.
  • Options
    artmccannartmccann Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good morning to the forum and members. I am a new member jumping in from my experience in SW Florida.
    Recently I have shipped antique handguns for repair to a shop in another state. The shop told be to just go to the PO, pickup a flat rate box, pack and ship through the PO. I went to the PO and started this process, except I asked a question. From that I found that most PO personal don't understand the regulation, even when reading it in front of you, of course they said it had to go through a FFL (the law is also on the net). I then check with UPS. Basic same story, except now it was their policy not to ship firearms; no wonder with the theft occuring during shipping. I went to my last resort, FEDX. They generously accepted the shipment.
    Through this and reading, the only thing I found required at time of shipping was a declaration to the counter person that the package contained an unloaded firearm and nothing is to be printed on the package to indicate its contents.
    The one issue I came away with from my experience regards modern weapons. The way the regulations I found were written permit the shipping of modern weapons from the owner to a official repair facility. Anybody have better input on this?