In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

scope for BP

DAMMITDONDAMMITDON Member Posts: 158 ✭✭✭
Is the scope different for BP & center fire rifles? And if so why.

Comments

• Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,234 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just use regular centerfire rifle scopes on muzzleloaders.
    I have a Sightron S2 3x9 and it works great.
  • Options
    bobbyrose512bobbyrose512 Member Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    On 1 of mine I have a simmons 3x9x32 and on another one a cheap tasco 3x9. Both work just fine.
  • Options
    DAMMITDONDAMMITDON Member Posts: 158 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the reply
  • Options
    navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was told the parallax was set to a shorter distance on scopes made for muzzle loaders due to the shorter range normally encountered.
    Also, I have noticed that m/l scopes (and shotgun scopes) frequently have different types of reticles adapted for ahorter range than regular rifle scopes.
  • Options
    timhill100timhill100 Member Posts: 1,133 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i asked this question at a gun show and this is the answer i got from the guy at the nc star table,
    rifle scopes have about a 3 inch eye relief
    shot gun scopes have a 4 inch one, because of recoil
    and muzzle loaders have a 5 inch, because on flintlocks and percusion guns you eye needs to be farther away from the flash
    i dont believe all of what he told me i think he was just trying to sell me something
  • Options
    grizzclawgrizzclaw Member Posts: 1,159 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use a Bushnell 2.5 to 4 power shotgun scope on my Knight.
  • Options
    MMOMEQ-55MMOMEQ-55 Member Posts: 13,134
    edited November -1
    Never could understand why people put scopes on BP rifles. I always thought that it is suppose to be a primitive weapon. Daniel Boone didn't have no sticking scope.[:D]
  • Options
    veger2veger2 Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I mounted a Redfield handgun scope out where arms-length would be on my T-C Hawken, using a Marlin M336 base (which has a flat bottom to match the flat on an octagon barrel). It works really well and gives me plenty of field and being "out there" allows me to track a moving deer better.
  • Options
    wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If Daniel Boone had a option for a scope. He would have taken that advantage. Why not use optics on BP? You are already giving the game a break using BP.
  • Options
    MMOMEQ-55MMOMEQ-55 Member Posts: 13,134
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by wpage
    If Daniel Boone had a option for a scope. He would have taken that advantage. Why not use optics on BP? You are already giving the game a break using BP.

With the new inline BP rifles you are not giving them much of a break at all. I always thought that hunting was about the challenge.