In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

HELP ME PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

shaggyshaggy Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
This is my first post on gun broker and I am a lost little lam!! I just am getting into the muzzle loader business and started off with a TC Triumph. Found a TC Scout about week ago and I would like to hunt with it tomorrow, This is the question, The pyrodex pellets that they sold me with the Triumph were 50 grains and the box did not say anything as far as smokeless. I stopped to the only place within 100 miles of me that sells 54 cal. pyrodex pellets for my 54 cal. TC Scout. I opened, or pelled off the protective wrapping and under the price tag it says 54 cal. SMOKELESS pyrodex pellets for 54 cal. inline muzzle loaders. Now I don't know what to do.It says I have the right pellets for the gun but the smokeless has me worried!! Am I o.k.?? Or do I take them back and try something else?? I really want to use this gun tomorrow but I don't want anything to go wrong!! PLEASE, PLEASE HELP ME!!! Thank you in advance, Shaggy[V]

Comments

• Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,226 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You need to go out and make at least 10 shots at the range before you go hunting, at 50 and 100 yards, to make sure you are hitting right.

Otherwise, you aim for the lungs, you hit the guts, and the deer staggers off into the forest and suffers and dies over the next 3 days.

Don't even go hunting if you are not prepared.
  • Options
    lefty41lefty41 Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If the pellets are Hodgdon Pyrodex you are okay. Download the manual from T/C's web site for proper operation and loading information. I only use loose powder in my .54 Prodex RS or Goex 2F black powder.
    Good luck with your Scout.
  • Options
    lefty41lefty41 Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Scout was T/C's first inline rifle and can only use a #11 cap (maybe a musket cap (I haven't tried one)). Some have said pellets are hard to ignite. My manual was published in 1992 and only shows loads for black powder, but does mention using Pyrodex. Maximum load shown for a .54 w/ round ball is 120 grains, optimum load is 80 grains. 100 grains is optimum for a .54 using a Maxi-Ball or Maxi-Hunter.
    Remember the Scout has a rebounding hammer and the trigger must be pulled completely to the rear for contact to be made with the primer cap.