In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

The dumb question of the day

William81William81 Member Posts: 24,593 ✭✭✭✭
Ok...still a newby on the Muzzle Loader thing...Went hunting today and did not get a shot and as it was after hunting hours when I walked out of the woods, my CVA is still "Loaded". I took the primer out so it safe.

I will not be able to hunt again till Sunday. Is the load in it OK for Sunday or should I remove the breach, dump the pellets and push the bullet out...

I live in town so I can't just shoot it....It was misty all day with some light rain.

Your input is appreicated...

Comments

• Options
    slumlord44slumlord44 Member Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I leave my CVA double loaded with Triple Seven loose powder for several months with no problems. Should be fine.
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,240 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have left my TC Hawken loaded for 6 weeks and it fired fine, no problem. This was with black powder.

You will encounter many "experts" who say you must discharge the load at the end of the day.
    Think back to Davy Crockett. Do you think he fired his rifle at the end of every day? Hell no he didn't, for one thing, he couldn't afford to.

I have left my Savage loaded for 2 years and it fired fine, of course, that was with smokeless powder.
  • Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    when in doubt shoot it, other wise feel free to take a chance it will go off, with pellets they don't fit the bore as tight as loose powder, I personally would be afraid the barrell would sweat inside and out after bringing it in the house. If you can't shoot it just pull the boreplug and dump the pellets and push the bullet out, If nothing else it will settle any doubt, clean boreplug and reinsert, or you can take your chances, either way good luck.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Oh, forgot to mention.
    When I bring the rifle inside I plug the bore. I have a 1 inch wide strip of white cloth, 12 inches long.
    I stuff 9 inches of that down the bore.
    This keeps warm, moist house air from condensing inside the barrel.
    The 3 inches left out serves as a flag to remind me to remove the cloth when I leave the house.

Here again, Davy Crockett had to have his rifle loaded at all times. He couldn't afford to discharge it every evening, didn't want to spend the time cleaning it.
    Plus, if the pioneer were hunting in Indian country, an unnecessary discharge could have brought a war party down upon him.
  • Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,593 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    MMOMEQ-55MMOMEQ-55 Member Posts: 13,134
    edited November -1
    I have hunted all week and keep the same load in my rifle. A friend of mine has a C&P pistol that he keeps loaded in his night stand. Maybe once a month he will fire off the rounds, clean and reload.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Allen not to steal the thread, or stir the pot, but who is to say Davy Crocket didn't have a lot of misfires????[;)]
  • Options
    MMOMEQ-55MMOMEQ-55 Member Posts: 13,134
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by hillbille
    Allen not to steal the thread, or stir the pot, but who is to say Davy Crocket didn't have a lot of misfires????[;)]

Davy? No way!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MMOMEQ-55
    quote:Originally posted by hillbille

Davy? No way!

oh maybe it was Daniel Boone.......
  • Options
    1FMJ1FMJ Member Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Forgot and left my 58 cal. Hawken loaded for 1 year.I still fired the next year. But it took two caps to get it to fire.<1FMJ>
  • Options
    edited November -1
    DSCN0540.jpg

I have kept this bad boy loaded for 3 years and it fired fine, full power, all 5 cylinders.
    This is in the humid NC mountains.
    I keep it in a drawer.

This is with black powder and round balls.