In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

What do I need to get started

mto7464mto7464 Member Posts: 60 ✭✭
Wanting to try a t/c hawken for hunting this fall. The kits I have seen have stuff I won't use. What are the basic things I will need? I plan on casting my own slugs.

Comments

• Options
    Winston BodeWinston Bode Member Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lubed patches, caps, a short starter and Pyrodex RS or Blackpowder.

A bag or pouch to carry everything in and some time to practice.

The patches are for the round balls but if you use a conical bullet you will not need a patch.

Bode
  • Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,169 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    powder measure for sure, possibly quick loads if wanted.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Consider also using pyrodex pellets. I also keep a nipple wrench and pick in my kit.
  • Options
    Winston BodeWinston Bode Member Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I knew I forgot something. Yes, a powder measure and a nipple wrench. Plus a patch worm and ball puller. If you shoot black powder long enough you will seat a ball down with no powder under it and you will need a ball puller to pull the ball out.

Bode
  • Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,169 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by He Dog
    Consider also using pyrodex pellets. I also keep a nipple wrench and pick in my kit.

personally I wouldn't use pellets in a sidelock, each there own though.
  • Options
    navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A long, strong cleaning rod to use at home. Make sure you understand how to clean a blackpowder rifle or you will end up with a rusted, pitted bore. You can use plain water or other cleaning solutions made for blackpowder.