In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

12 bore double rifle loading data

thaynethayne Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
I have a very nice Joseph Lang 12 bore double rifle made in 1873 that I am looking for loading data. It has very slow twist and was made for round ball. What weight of ball should I use and does anyone have any .739 or .740 round balls out there? How many drams of black powder do I use and what about smokeless? Thanks!

Comments

• Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,191 ******
    edited November -1
    DO NOT EVER USE SMOKELESS POWDER IN A MUZZLELOADER!
    I'll just guess that being an 1873 date regardless, NO SMOKELESS POWDER!
    After that, Dixie Gunworks would be the best place to start looking for round balls.
    Not knowing the rifle, and you not knowing it, I'd suggest that you have it looked at by a gunsmith with knowledge of the era of the firearm to make sure that it is safe to fire.
    I won't even suggest a powder charge until then.
  • cbyerlycbyerly Member Posts: 689 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I doubt that it was made for shooting round balls. It had a projectile much like the Breneke slugs. Get a copy of the Double Gun Journal and contact some of the advertisers for assistance.
  • thaynethayne Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the replies. I guess I need to clarify that this gun is a cartridge double rifle not a muzzleloader! It was definately made for paper cases and round ball. Any help with loading data would be appreciated!
  • navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is an article in RIFLE magazine, "12-Gauge Rifles," November 2003, Number 210, Volumn 35, Number 6, by Ross Seyfried, an expert on large bore African rifles. In a Greener double barrel he used 4 drams (110 grains) of GOEX FFFG blackpowder and a .735 inch round ball for 1,300 fps. He notes that Greener recommended finer grain powders in his 12-gauge rifles. Corse grain powder (Fg) burned poorly. The early rifles used regular paper shotgun cases. Later rifles used brass cases, after the process of drawing the brass case was perfected, and these had larger bore diameters due to the thinner brass case.
    Any supplier of blackpowder supplies should be able to furnish a mould or balls. I would assume you would have to measure the bore to get the correct size.
  • thaynethayne Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the reply navc130. That is great useful information. I will look the article up and go from there. At least now I have a starting point!

thanks again,

Thayne