In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Repairing a powder flask

travis3travis3 Member Posts: 341 ✭✭✭
My favorite powder flask has opened up a seam along the bottom, is there a way to repair this?

Comments

• Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    duct tape............. seriously you may have to get someone to braze it, if its copper you may try soldering it.
  • Options
    Wolf.Wolf. Member Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Depending on what it would cost you to replace the powder flask, I would say that a silver soldering repair will be be the best fix. You might be able to effect a fix with a soldering iron and plumber's solder, but it will be a sloppy mess and most likely will be unsuccessful.

Were I you, I would go to or call a local bead and findings shop and ask them to recommend and assist you in contacting an artist type who is very good at silver soldering for jewelry making or repair. Discuss with the artist, then find out their price and decide which is best for you.....repair or replace the flask. Also, the artist will be able to examine the flask and determine whether other areas of it are weak or split. There are places on the Internet, or even Dixie Gun Works might help (see their website or Catalog), in assisting you regarding disassembling the flask, which will help you clean it our and help the artist make a successful repair. I think Dixie might sell repair parts for standard flasks as well.

A WARNING FOR ALL CONCERNED is that you must do your part in the repair process by ensuring that all the powder and powder residue in the flask is gone, gone, gone prior to turning it over to the jewelry maker. To me, that means emptying it and rinsing the thing several times with warm water.

Let us know how it turns out if you decide to get it fixed.
  • Options
    stegsteg Member Posts: 871 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You might try to find a musical instrument repairer that repairs brass horns and such. They have excellent craft techniques for getting dents out of metal and in invisible soldering.
    However, if your flask is of modern manufacture, you will probably find replacing it cheaper.
  • Options
    travis3travis3 Member Posts: 341 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Wolf.
    Depending on what it would cost you to replace the powder flask, I would say that a silver soldering repair will be be the best fix. You might be able to effect a fix with a soldering iron and plumber's solder, but it will be a sloppy mess and most likely will be unsuccessful.

Were I you, I would go to or call a local bead and findings shop and ask them to recommend and assist you in contacting an artist type who is very good at silver soldering for jewelry making or repair. Discuss with the artist, then find out their price and decide which is best for you.....repair or replace the flask. Also, the artist will be able to examine the flask and determine whether other areas of it are weak or split. There are places on the Internet, or even Dixie Gun Works might help (see their website or Catalog), in assisting you regarding disassembling the flask, which will help you clean it our and help the artist make a successful repair. I think Dixie might sell repair parts for standard flasks as well.

A WARNING FOR ALL CONCERNED is that you must do your part in the repair process by ensuring that all the powder and powder residue in the flask is gone, gone, gone prior to turning it over to the jewelry maker. To me, that means emptying it and rinsing the thing several times with warm water.

Let us know how it turns out if you decide to get it fixed.

Made the repair myself using soft solder not too bad for a frist attempt.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Years ago, I soft soldered a large open seam of a large repro "Peace Flask".
    Seams came out acceptably.