In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Uberti Schofield - 5" or 7" barrel

Distant-DrummerDistant-Drummer Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
I have been looking at purchasing a reproduction Schofield as a shooter. I can't decide on the 5" or 7" barrel. Does anyone have thoughts on this?

Comments

• StaffordSamStaffordSam Member Posts: 16 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, a 5" will handle better than a 7". 5" will have a better choice of holsters. Just my 2 cents.
  • Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Army bought them at 7" which is therefore authentic.
    Some of them were cut to 5" for resale when surplused by the Army; some few of those were bought by Wells Fargo. So you could call that an authentic modification.
  • hdcolt51hdcolt51 Member Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've had two of the 7 inchers great shooters,wish I still had them.
  • BergtrefferBergtreffer Member Posts: 629 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have had the hots for one of those revolvers. What has stopped me, however, is the very fine sights. I hold the revolver up and I just don't see any sights at all with my 66 year old eyes. That is a point to consider when purchasing one of them. Can you see the sights? Will you be able to see those sights in another 25 or 40 years?
  • 44caliberkid44caliberkid Member Posts: 925 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think the 7 inchers are great looking pistolas. I always thought the 5 looked kinda stubby and weird. A 7 inch in nickel plate is one of my top 10 handguns of all time.
  • BergtrefferBergtreffer Member Posts: 629 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with you 44. The 5 incher looks kind of weird, or chopped off. If I could see the sights anymore I would get the 7 inch model.

Didn't Tom Selleck use one of them in a movie? I remember him lying on the ground at a corral looking through the corral to the bad guy on the other side. Tom broke open the action and put in new rounds.
  • yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 20,985 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I reckon I'd pick up the 7" chrome plated in .45 LC. Too bad they cost a grand.
  • COLT_45_SAACOLT_45_SAA Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 44caliberkid
    I think the 7 inchers are great looking pistolas. I always thought the 5 looked kinda stubby and weird. A 7 inch in nickel plate is one of my top 10 handguns of all time.

Agreed-Just got the 7 inch nickel factory engraved limited model.
    It's now one of my favs as well.....
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Weight might be a deciding issue for me.
    I suspect weight difference between barrel lengths may be greater than with the SAA where the longer barrel still feels handy.
    However, many if not all Cavalry 7 1/2" SAA's that saw action were shortened to about 5 1/2"
  • savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a 5"right now and actually carry it once in awhile for my conceal weapon