In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

A good ML elk bullet-no sabot??

MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭
Looks like I may get to hunt elk in ML season his fall. My current deer setup is mostly against regulations in Colorado-no scope, no pellets, and no sabots. I need some input on bullet choice. Right now I'm looking at the Powerbelt 295 grain plain lead hollow point since it is about the same weight as my current deer load. I've heard the Powerbelts might not expand but have no firm info on that. Any suggestions?? Thanks

Comments

• mbsamsmbsams Member Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Hawken 54. I use a 220gr round ball. Always passes through. I always get my steaks.
  • HandLoadHandLoad Member Posts: 15,998
    edited November -1
    I have only hunted Elk Two Seasons - no luck yet!

But, Hornady has a good name, and makes good bullets/ammo - they have a good looking "Conical" no sabot required - all copper clad, 300 grain and a 350 grain bullet, each with a Plastic "ballistic" tip - looks good to me! I am assuming that you are shooting .50 cal? The bullet has a "Skirt" that looks to Obturate like a Minie ball, or a Sabot does to deal off the gases. I have loaded and shot (at the club range) about fifteen of them. No idea what the velocity is from my CVA ELECTRA (26-inch Barrel), but seems to deliver a good wallop on this end! Unable to recover any from the berm as yet.

So, a Neophyte (at Black Powder) tells you that there is a bullet out there that leaves his barrel and goes downrange....

Hope this helps!!!![:D]
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I saw the Hornady bullet in a catalog but figured they are too new to have much feedback on here. They are definitely and option. Thanks
    edited November -1
    Pretty much a struggle to get them started into the barrel, as the copper "Skirt" hits/interferes with the begin of the rifling on my barrel - on the Electra, they have machined about a Half-Inch Recess at the muzzle that is quite overbore - maybe .550? - and just where the overbore stops, the bore and rifling meets at about a 45 degree angle. Makes for a hard time getting the bullet started - I have examined a couple after the struggle (Removed the Breech plug and pushed them out the breech). They had crescents of marking where the bullet was a little canted to the barrel, and the "corner" where the rifling and actual bore ended had grounded against the bullet about 180-240 degrees around. Mark was about five thou deep. Not too sure it made any diff, at least for these old eyes.

I liked the idea of all the weight going downrange, instead of twenty grains or so staying behind. All the powder goes to the bullet and impact.

The copper is dead soft, as evidenced by the marking noted above. The bullet, once in the bore/rifling, slid easily down to the powder.

Wish I had access to a Chrono to see if the velocities are different and how much. No Idea.
  • steve45steve45 Member Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had some bad luck with a round ball on elk. At 10 yds my round ball deformed flat and did not penetrate the far side lung. I would use a heavier bullet.quote:Originally posted by mbsams
    I have a Hawken 54. I use a 220gr round ball. Always passes through. I always get my steaks.
  • GatofeoGatofeo Member Posts: 230 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thompson Center has been offering a lead conical since the 1960s, or at least the early 70s.
    Before all this sabot, pellet, jacketed bullet, Laser-Extreme-Turbo-ZX-Knockem-*-Over-Teakettle hooplah the humble conical bullet was taking elk just fine.
    For that matter, the simple lead ball has been taking elk for hundreds of years. Bullet placement with any bullet is critical.
    When I lived in Idaho, plenty of the locals took elk with lead balls or conicals. They stalked close, didn't take unsure or long-range shots, and put the bullet where it belonged.
    edited November -1
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info. A couple of packs of the Hornady are on the way. That should be enough to determine compatability. I'm seriously considering going back to real black powder for this project since I have a good supply. At least give it an honest try.
  • mbsamsmbsams Member Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Real black and a Maxi-Ball should work very well.
    edited November -1
    I did some more checking and decided the fouling from real black would be a real problem with a reload. Guess I'll try some of the high dollar stuff instead.
  • sidelockersidelocker Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    you may want to give Black Widow bullets a look @ thegunworks.com
  • elkoholicelkoholic Member Posts: 5,130
    edited November -1
    I've had phenomenal results out of power belts. The elk in my profile picture was shot with a .50 cal 338 gr platinum Power Belt over 110 gr of 777. I wrote an extensive review. Try the search function.