In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Blackpowder Bullets

J_N_BuddyJ_N_Buddy Member Posts: 26 ✭✭
I have a question, I have a Lee .50 cal conical mold, I would like to know if I have to use a patch for this bullet and also can I use Lee liquid alox to lube the bullet. I am just getting started in Blackpowder and don't know much abnout blackpowder.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I am new at Blackpowder shooting, I am wanting to shoot cast bullets which are
    90471 Lee, 50 cal..500-354 grain
    90394 Lee 50 cal. 250 grain
    can any one tell me which one of these 2 bullets would shoot the best and what powder charge I would need to use, I am thinking about shooting Pyrodex and Tripple 7 nay info would greatly be apperciated.
  • Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,170 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    start at 90-100 grains and go up and down by 10 grains till you get the best accuracy, you're shoulder will get sore before you find the right match for your rifle. When you get what you think is right try 5 grains up or down, in two or three shot groups. Personally I like black powder best, there will probubly be some accuracy differences between pyrodex and triple 7, stick with what shoots best.
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,234 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The only way to know is to shoot them and see!

I would try the 80 to 90 grain range for those big slugs.
  • Options
    edited November -1