In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Dry flat leather

bgraypupbgraypup Member Posts: 43 ✭✭
Received nice new Cowhide bullet pouches,how is the best way to stretch & finish to keep these looking nice & also useable? Thanks bgraypup

Comments

• Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,953 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use Picard's Leather Dressing.
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by He Dog
    I use Picard's Leather Dressing.

Yep. Great stuff with natural oils.

1111_detail.jpg
  • Options
    bgraypupbgraypup Member Posts: 43 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bgraypup
    Received nice new Cowhide bullet pouches,how is the best way to stretch & finish to keep these looking nice & also useable? Thanks bgraypup
    thanks
  • Options
    MMOMEQ-55MMOMEQ-55 Member Posts: 13,134
    edited November -1
    Depends on the leather. Is it vegi tan? If so soak it in water and fill it up with marbles. Let this dry over night then apply neatsfoot oil lightly over the bag. Let this dry then apply mink oil heavy over the entire bag and put in your oven on its lowest setting. Watch the pouch and when the mink oil looks flat and not shiny take it out and let the pouch cool. Apply another light coat of mink oil and load up your round balls. About every year apply another coat of mink oil or in heavy use once every 6 months.

If you prefer a different color for your pouch you can purchase leather dye in about any color you want from Tandy leather. Most of mine I dye to match the possibles bag they are going into. If you do decide to dye the pouch just dye it according to instructions then after the dye has dried follow the above instructions on preserving your pouch.

I actually have a old crock pot with a mixture of bees wax, mink oil, and paraffin and heat it up to melting point. I then dip my pouches, holsters, sheaths into this mixture. Not really practical for you if you are just doing a couple of pouches.This is what I do to the ones I make for my customers and never one complaint.
  • Options
    wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1 on neatsfoot oil.