In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

saddle gun(rifle)

danielgagedanielgage Member Posts: 10,472 ✭✭✭✭
what is the best saddle rifle include model and description 357or 30/30? or any other caliber I am meaning light good fit fun to use all around useful and works well in saddle scabbard

Comments

• Litl RoosterLitl Rooster Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I didn't know there was a bad model out there. They are pretty addicting and convincing yourself to that you need others is easy to do. What is your primary use for one?
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 30-30 has a lot more power than the .357.

Or get the .35 Marlin.
  • danielgagedanielgage Member Posts: 10,472 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a old 32-40 marlin handed down from my grandpa that I don't want to put in my saddle scabbard and it is also too expensive to shoot 32-40 ammo I am trying to decide what to buy, something fairly cheap to shoot and lighter than the marlin maybe winchester or rossi lever action just wondering if anybody had any suggestions other brands might work too
  • Lucky007Lucky007 Member Posts: 308 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I haven't owned a Rossi or Henry, but I can say I like the Marlin much more than the Winchester in a lever gun. The marlin has, in my opinion, a better lever system and can be scoped and cleaned/worked on alot better than the open topped Winchester. With the Hornady 160 gr ammo and a nice low power variable scope the 30-30 Marlin 336 would be a great saddle gun...either blued or stainless.
  • CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    I have to agree with Lucky, the Marlin is much more user friendly.
    W.D.
  • longspur riderlongspur rider Member Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have some very nice Winnies that are a joy to shoot, But just to go out plinking I have an older Marlin I picked up that spent a good deal of time in a gun rack in a back window by the wear marks on it. Don't have to be especially careful with it, not that I would ever beat any of my firearms around. It's a great shooting gun. I don't think it to be excessively heavy. If you want a lighter gun, then do look at the Win 92 replicas. They are lighter. I have no personal experience with the Rossi. Have seen some in use that seem to shoot fine.
  • wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The old Winchesters fit nice in a saddle holster. They are slimmer then certain others.
  • woodhogwoodhog Member Posts: 13,115 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    if time and usage is any indication, model 94 win .30-30 would be a great choice. Slim, easy to grab. reliable.It's my choice horseback or ATV.