In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

45 cal H & R huntsmen

lock stock and barrellock stock and barrel Member Posts: 88 ✭✭
Gentlemen, I have a 45 cal huntsmen which has a ramrod when inserted down the barrel leaves about 6 plus inches from end of ramrod to plug, when ramrod is flush with muzzle.... is that too much space between the projectile and the powder??? should I change to a longer ramrod???

Comments

• Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,169 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    yes, most of these newer muzzleloaders come with an extra insert to et that extra 6 inches, sometimes it is the end of the ramrod itself, you unscrew it and reverse it to lengthen it, which if it is the case is a real " pia " when hunting.
  • Options
    hunterXhunterX Member Posts: 75 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am not 100 percent sure I understand the question. But I think I do.
    So with that being said and WITHOUT implying that you are less than smart, I ask if you are sure you unscrewed and extended the ramrod the entire way? Because those rods do that and maybe someone might not know it.
  • Options
    KatsteeKatstee Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    First question, is this the original ramrod that came with the gun?
    2nd question, if so, did you try opening the ram rod? hunterX is correct when he stated that those ram(H&R)rods, retract for storage & extend for loading.
    If this is not the original ram rod, then you definitely, need a longer ram rod. My guess is the barrel is 28" for the .45 cal Huntsman, so you need a ram rod, approx. 1 1/2" - 2" shorter, call it 26 1/2" - 26" long for the ram rod, but now you run into the problem with the ram rod sticking way out past the barrel.
    If your looking to get rid of that problem gun drop me a line.[8D]