In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

new barrel for renegade .50 or 54

cmac231cmac231 Member Posts: 16 ✭✭
I have a T/C rnegade in 50 cal the gun has been shot and abused (poor cleaning) to the point that about every 5th round would miss the barn. The first 3 or 4 will be dead on at 100 yrd. I would love to get new barrel for it in either 50 or 54 cal. Ive seen a few but heck they cost more than gun cost new,then again that was when is was 11 about 34 years ago.
Anyone know of someone who sells a repalcement barrel.

Comments

• cmac231cmac231 Member Posts: 16 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    sorry Ill try again renegade
  • festusfestus Member Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Might try swabing the barrel out after 3 or 4 shots. Makes a difference in my renegade as it does the same thing. When at the range I run a patch down the barrel after each shot.
  • hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,169 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    green mountain...
  • KatsteeKatstee Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Before you spend the money to replace the barrel, why don't you try the following, take one step at a time:
    1.Do what "ssmag" suggested. Run a spit patch down the barrel every 3 shots. Try shooting again, see what happens.
    2.If the above doesn't help. My question is: What type of powder are you using? The fouling from BP, or Pyrodex, can really ruin groups. Try switching to Triple 7 powder, it's a lot cleaner burning.
    3.Clean the barrel out really good, with what ever cleaner you use regularly, make sure you dry the inside of the barrel (use plently of patches) out. Then using a brass brush scrub the barrel really good, run a couple of patches, using a bore cleaner(something like Birchwood Casey #77 muzzle magic cleaner), keep running patches through the barrel until the patches come out a chalky clean color (no black). Run dry patches through them again. Thenplug the nipple with some modeling clay. Stand the barrel bore end up, spray some Ballistol down the barrel let stand for a day. Drain barrel, and clean again with Ballistol. By this time you should have gotten almost all the crud that your going to be able to get, out of the barrel. Clean barrel again to remove all the oil, make sure you remove all the modeling clay from the nipple. If the gun still won't shoot, then you might want to spend money on a barrel.
    4.If all the above, fails to work, check ebay, under T/C or Thompson Center. Believe it or not ebay (which is anti-gun)carries firearm parts, just not assembled guns.
    Good luck.