In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

need help on black powder gun

badweatherbadweather Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
Hi, I have a black powder pistol that was my husbands. The hammer was cocked and now it won't uncock. It was fine yesterday, but someone that knew what they were doing cocked it. Now I messed with it and can't get it to uncock. Am afraid I will mess something up. Can anybody help me?

Comments

• mbsamsmbsams Member Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I see a recipie for disaster - quit messing with that gun everyday - I bet you can't tell if it's loaded or not - quite pulling that trigger! point in a safe direction! take it in to a gun smith now! They won't charge you anything to see that it's in a safe condition - sell it at the gun store and never touch another firearm - God save us all! I hope you get through this wihout killin somebody.
  • andrewsw16andrewsw16 Member Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If it is a cap and ball pistol look to see if it has a percussion cap on the nipple. If so, remove it. If it is a flintlock, open the frizzen (the hinged piece in front of the hammer) and dump out the priming charge if there is one. NOW you are safe to carry it to a gunsmith. [:D]
  • jimfasterjimfaster Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Some even have a general understanding about this gun?
  • RwBeVRwBeV Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Maybe just a little more understanding here???
  • badweatherbadweather Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I never touched the gun. A fella came here to buy a hay trailer and wanted to look at it. He is the one that messed with it. I know enough about guns to be afraid of them and handle them very carefully. I found some info on the internet how to uncock it. I did what it said very carefully, pointing the gun toward the floor. I held the hammer so it didn't slam and wham it was fixed. I shipped it the same day to a fella in sc. I am going to sell these guns. Am just trying to find out how much they are worth. My husband just kept them in a gun cabinet. He never used any of them.
    edited November -1
    Oh, by the way, I'm a 60 year old woman but I didn't just fall off the turnip truck.
    edited November -1
    sorry, should of told in the first post the whole story about the young man that looked at it and pulled te hammer back or whatever he did. I just skipped that part to shorten the post. anyway, its fixed, was never broken , just didn't know how to disengage it safely. thanks for the help
  • RwBeVRwBeV Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Im glad it worked our for you, I sent you an email if you need any more help.
  • StaffordSamStaffordSam Member Posts: 16 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi badweather, what kind of gun was this?
    edited November -1
    black powder pistol, 45 cal
  • hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,121 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    revolver?, single shot, flintlock, colt, remington, pietta? lot of questions need answered to give a value as it could be from $50-5000 depending on make, model and condition.
  • KatsteeKatstee Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey guys, give the lady a break. I'm sure you all were born, knowing everything about guns that you know today. We all have a learning curve. Making people afraid of guns is how we end up having them vote to ban them, it's called fear of the unknown.
    Before criticizing the lady, I hope you made sure that your wives, husbands and children were taught safe gun handling.