In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Black powder measure

yblockheadyblockhead Member Posts: 943 ✭✭✭
Getting ready to set up for reloading black powder cartridges (45-70). Who in your opinion makes the best measure? You know, cost, precision, accuracy etc.

Comments

• Options
    cbyerlycbyerly Member Posts: 689 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You need to decide if you are going to use mostly black or smokeless powder. Lyman makes a #55 specifically for black powder. Any other will do fine for smokeless.
  • Options
    navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You do not necessarily need a powder measure for black powder, unless you are loading for extreme accuracy. Black powder can be safely measured by volumn. You can buy a volumn measure or you can easily make your own out of empty cartridge cases. Volumn measure also works for Pyrodex - the volumn measure is the same for both powders, but the powder WEIGHT is different.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I already reload for modern, and am set up with measures for that. Will look into the Lyman #55....
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hornady and RCBS also make BP measures that are like their regular smokeless measures except with aluminum "anti static" hoppers and brass "non sparking" rotors.
    Montana Vintage Arms makes the old Belding and Mull style measure. Not as fast as a rotary but reliable and accurate.
    Harrell makes a benchrest type BP measure that is very nice but about twice the price of any of the others.

I use an old Redding No 3 with metal hopper; I figure it is worn in enough to not spark.

I know there are BPCR shooters even using the digital dispensers in spite of warnings against putting black in their system.

I and many others use a measure for a rough charge and trickle to exact weight. This for target shooting, perhaps more trouble than you want to go to if for hunting, plinking, or CAS.

"For fine shooting, powder should be weighed on a scale."
    The Sharps Rifle Company, circa 1878.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like the Ted Case measures.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    It's a toss-up between the RCBS and the Lyman at this point. Any last nickels on the better of the two?
  • Options
    OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by yblockhead
    I already reload for modern, and am set up with measures for that. Will look into the Lyman #55....

If you know what the volume is you want to shoot simply weigh it on a standard scale and use that weight to load with.

For example 95grs by volume may or may not weigh 95grs
  • Options
    KatsteeKatstee Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not worth the trouble to weigh the charges. Charges are pretty consistent using a volume measuring device.
  • Options
    Gunny0321Gunny0321 Member Posts: 25 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Katsee, That would depend intirely on the type of shooting and the accuracy needed in that shooting. It is worth the trouble! And I am not to certain I understand the meaning of "Pretty Consistant".

If --yblockhead-- is doing any type of competition or target shooting, "Pretty Consistant" just won't cut it.

If on the other hand he is using his 45-70 as a plinking or shoot for fun gun, and the only requirement is for it to go Bang, then "Pretty Consistant" may be OK.

RS