In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

new muzzleloader rifle

danielgagedanielgage Member Posts: 10,474 ✭✭✭✭
I have a friend wanting to start muzzleloading for deer he wants a in-line break-open rifle. Anyone know what rifle to start him out with?

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Any suggestions or ideas???????????????
  • Options
    willie332willie332 Member Posts: 23 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Depends how much he wants to invest and how serious he wants to get into it. Most companies have low-end (starter)kits and higher-end rifles. I believe you get what you pay for so Id buy the best I could afford. Traditions, CVA, Knight and Thompson Center(TC) are probably the most popular although I heard rumors Knight was folding. I started of with a used low-end CVA I bought for $50 many years ago and now I shoot a TC Prohunter I just got for just under $850. The Traditions "VORTEK", CVA "OPTIMA" and the TC "TRIUMPH" are all great stater, break-open action muzzle loaders which you can get started for approx $500 or less if you do some searching, especially here on GUNBROKER. Its a great sport which can extend your time in the woods chasing deer and other critters![^]
  • Options
    edited November -1
  • Options
    oneoldsaponeoldsap Member Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My advice is , don't get a break action ! I have never seen one that shot worth a darn , except for the T/Cs . You get what you pay for in this world ( if you're on the ball )!
  • Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,169 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by oneoldsap
    My advice is , don't get a break action ! I have never seen one that shot worth a darn , except for the T/Cs . You get what you pay for in this world ( if you're on the ball )!

I strongly disagree... I have both a cva pursuit and a knight, both shoot well, cloverleaf at 50 yds baseball size groups at 100, and cleaning is less than 10 minutes start to finish. As someone else said, get what you can afford, and upgrade if needed.
    the cva pursuit can be had for less than $250 and is more than enough for most hunting needs.
  • Options
    KatsteeKatstee Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you have a NEF/H&R gun, you can send the receiver in and get a new .50 Cal. Huntsman 24" barrel, includes a ram rod, fore end, breech plug wrench, and primer holders fitted for around $150?, not sure of complete price which includes S/H. This allows you to have 2 guns on one frame. These muzzle loaders are break open, and easy to clean.
    I have to disagree with "oneoldsap" and agree with "hillbille", price doesn't always determine accuracy. Huntsman accuracy is a lot better than some more expensive guns, you just have to play with the load until you find one the gun likes. Try using this load: Hornady .45Cal(240gr JHP-XTP) bullet with a MMP Sabot, using 100gr (2 Pellets) Triple 7. Start at 50yds then move the target out to 100. I think you'll be surprised at what you have. BTW NEF/H&R has the barrels in stock. I also own TC's, & Knights.