In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Stuck Bullet in H&R Huntsman

travis3travis3 Member Posts: 341 ✭✭✭
How can I get a stuck bullet out of a H&R Huntsman 45cal barrel? No I am not the one that loaded the bullet before putting in the powder. [:(]

Comments

• diver-rigdiver-rig Member Posts: 6,342 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is a cork screw type thing that you thread on ram rod and then thread into projectile and remove.
  • eastbankeastbank Member Posts: 4,215
    edited November -1
    you can take the nipple out and put a few grs. of 3 or 4 F in and put the nipple back in and cap it and fire the bullet out in a safe direction. easrbank.
  • travis3travis3 Member Posts: 341 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Looks as if someone filled the space behind the nipple with oil to kill any powder that may had been there. I do not think trying to put in a few grains of powder would work. Do you think or has anyone tried driving the bullet out from here?
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Get a pack of pipe cleaners and you can clean that oil out, and then you can put some powder in there.
    If you get a skinny enough rod you could shove the bullet out.
  • eastbankeastbank Member Posts: 4,215
    edited November -1
    there is a ball remover that uses compressed air, i read about them and they say they work but i have never tried one. if all else fails, unscrew the breech plug and push the ball out. i would try unscrewing the nipple and useing a tooth pick to try to get some of the oil soaked powder out and putting a fer grains of 3-4 F in, it will not take much to blow the ball out.eastbank.
    edited November -1
    How do I unscrew the breech plug? Is there a special wrench made for this?
    edited November -1
    Want to thank everyone for their help. Got one of the cork screw or wormn remover type ends that screw onto the ram rod. Took awhile but did get it removed.
  • reindeerreindeer Member Posts: 129 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You have experienced one of the bizarre lessons of bp ownership i.e. you only have access through that long, tiny tube. I have had several such experiences over the past 2 years and it always involves patience and lots of time to correct. reindeer.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Blow it out with compressed air.. We have a C02 tool for blowing the balls out of BP rifles.. Get ya one of them and save yourself headaches in the future..
  • scubabobfscubabobf Member Posts: 392 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi,
    Be careful firing the rifle if the bullet is not seated as you could cause a barrel bulge. I had a minnie ball get really stuck and I brazed a screw to the end of some all thread. Using over size washers and a nut, the screw was twisted into the ball and the nut pulled it out. This is as safe as the compressed air approach. Good luck.
  • KatsteeKatstee Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know this is an old thread, but I just want everyone to know that the old .45 Cal Huntsmans had 2 types of breech plugs. One is the threaded type. This type needed a special tool which inserted into holes alongside the plug, and screwed out the plug. The other type was a push in/out plug, with this type all you have to do is put a wood dowel as close to the caliber as possible down the bore & tap it until the breech plug cames out. Use caution when firing these guns , especially when you have a hangfire. If you open the breech, and the gun then goes boom, you will have a breech plug smacking you in the head hard. This is why the current NEF/HR company won't repair these guns and one of the reasons the old H&R company went out of business.