In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

TC Scout Upgrade?

Agent1Agent1 Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
I was wondering if anyone out there has had any experience with different ignition types on the Scout rifles. I am in the middle of trying some upgrades for more reliable ignition. I have exhaustively searched the internet and have found no success stories in changing the STD. #11 over to musket cap, 209 or rifle primer. It is hard enough just trying to find a #11 replacement nipple. (can't find any!)
A friend and myself patterend up the factory nipple yesterday and we plan to turn some out in different configurations. I will report back the progress when and if any is made but in the mean time, I would love to hear about anyone elses trials. thanks.

Comments

• oneoldsaponeoldsap Member Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You be real careful fussing with the ignition system on a T/C Scout . I know a one eyed fellow that tried to improve his . It blew the hammer back and sent the cap right into his eye and damaged it beyond repair ! Guess why they stopped making them .
  • sidelockersidelocker Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Scout nipples/breechplugs show up on EBay quite often....they usually end up selling between $35-40.
  • wbcreationswbcreations Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi, Thompson Center designed a new nipple to address the ignition problem. It has been several years ago but when I called about the problem they sent me two new ones free of charge. They also have them for sale. Good Luck, Woody
  • capnrmcapnrm Member Posts: 43 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Did your Nipples work on the scout ?????
    edited November -1
    Have found (2) new in wrap Scout nipples.
  • Agent1Agent1 Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Capnrm, Sorry I didn't check back long ago. No I have not played with the Rifle since posting. We have the metal stock but on the first attempt to make the threads (metric 1/2 interval)we were not able to repeat with the leathe. At first we thought that the machine was damaged, but it turns out, this particular machine isn't geard to repeat metric threads. My buddy Kevin is going to try again now that the weather is warm and he can stand to be in the shop to work. I will let you know when we have some progress.

Are you willing to part with one of those #11 nipples? How much?
  • Agent1Agent1 Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Oneoldsap, I heed your warning and that is one of the first points that we took under considerations before we undertook this project. We plan to test this safely and include a hammer spring change or possible hammer re-design.

Oh. and by the way, TC stopped making the Scout because of a fire that destroyed the MFG. plant and the cost to retool was greater than the projected profit margin. (But I'm no expert!)
    edited November -1
    Located a nipple wrench !!!!!!!!!! Brand new !!!!! YEA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!