In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

What is MANDATORY for a new inliner?

tcleartclear Member Posts: 132 ✭✭✭
Just purchased my first inline (found an omega here on GB, stainless, thumbhole w/ omega scope all camoed in a case new for 575 to my door!) I am going to give it a shot in Ohio this year during the late season (after christmas). I have hunted with a flintlock for the best part of 20 years, but never an inline. Is there any other necessary equipment those of you who are inliners would not go in the field without?
Thanks for the help.

Comments

• Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    guess you decided against the pursuit, well anyway the most important thing i can think of is a good nipple wrenck, or buy a nipple that has a hex head so you can use a regular deepwell socket, they can tighten up and be a real bear to get out, a good wrench or socket makes things a lot easier. powder charge, in grains, and bullets are sometimes fun specific, you may have to try several till you get the right combo. good luck.
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,242 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You made a wise choice, one of the best inlines on the market.
    Good luck!
  • Options
    goldeneagle76goldeneagle76 Member Posts: 4,359
    edited November -1
    After about 5 hours at my range sighting in my new TC Triumph, I would reccomend loose powder over pellets. Less convenient but much better accuracy at least for me.
    a "palm saver" for your ramrod in the field.
  • Options
    tcleartclear Member Posts: 132 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the advice. I did decide to spend the extra and go with the TC. My decision was more based on the fact that the pursuit was sold out at Dick's and they would not give me a rain check at the current price.
    I haven't had it out yet, but picked up some loose and pellets along with the loose black powder that I have. Can't wait to get out and try it out.

A lot on here have said that they clean between every shot. Is that necessary? I put several rounds through the flintlock before I clean it and it has always done just fine.
  • Options
    goldeneagle76goldeneagle76 Member Posts: 4,359
    edited November -1
    while sighting it in, I would definitely run a "spit" patch and then a dry patch in between shots. Hunting...not necessarily.
  • Options
    KatsteeKatstee Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know this is an old post. But here's my 2 cents.
    Get a 209 primer capper, I don't know about you but, I have thick fingers, & sometimes wearing gloves, find it hard to cap the rifle without it. Also get at least one "quick reloader" tube, in case you have to fire another shot to humanely finish off the deer. Bring along the breech plug wrench, you'll never need it until you really need it. Since you hunted with a flintlock previously, I'm sure you know to bring along a quick starter.
    You can easily fire 3 shots without running a patch, you'll know when you need to run a spit patch, it'll get harder to load. That said, I recommend a spit patch, after 3 shots, while sighting in.