In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Breech plug stuck

anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
I was getting ready for deer season, and I decided to take out my breech plug (from my Omega 50), and really clean her up good. But it would not come out. What is the best way to deal with that?

Comments

• Options
    mbsamsmbsams Member Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Removing the plug is not required - I have a muzzleloader that I haven't taken the plug out in over 30 years - just clean from the muzzle.
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,242 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is yours an inline?
  • Options
    Underdog2264Underdog2264 Member Posts: 164 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Get the barrel good and warm, the oven works best about 180 or so,(make double sure it is not loaded) pt a small amount of Marvel Mystery oil in the bore and set the breach in a can of the same, just enough to cover the breach plug. let it cool a bit and give the plug a couple good wacks with a wood or brass hammer. let it sit in the oil a bit longer until cool and it should loosen up. Make sure when you replace it you clean the threads well and lube the plug and barrel threads so you don't have to do this again. Hope that helps, it has worked a couple times for us.
  • Options
    rja72rja72 Member Posts: 141 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A buddy of mine could not get his breech plug when he wanted to change to 209 primer. he dumped some Kroil oil down the barrel and let it sit for a day. The plug came out after that.
  • Options
    OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    all above will probably work

do you have a 3/8" drive impact gun

Find the socket that fits, spray with some liquid wrench or pentrating lube set gun to lowest setting and PULL

I have yet to have a plug not come out with a little help from a rattle gun.
  • Options
    Underdog2264Underdog2264 Member Posts: 164 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Any luck with the plug?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Actually, I'm travelling right now visiting kids and grandkids. So my breech plug will just have to wait a bit longer. Probably, another couple weeks will not change things a whole lot. I am collecting some good ideas though.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    OK, I'm back and finally got a moment to work on my Omega 50. I used a 3/8's drive socket set to get a little more leverage and the breech plug came right out. I think that in the future I'm not going to tighten it up much at all.
  • Options
    KatsteeKatstee Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just make sure you lube up both the male & female threads, before you put the breech plug back in, otherwise your going to have this problem again, and might not be able to get it out the next time. You can use any of the big name brand breech plug lubes, but I use automotive anti-seize lube, yeah the kind you apply on spark plugs. Just don't put too much, near the breech face, otherwise you might clog the flash hole. Then you'll have a fail to fire problem.
  • Options
    andrewsw16andrewsw16 Member Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Katstee, you need to check how you are listing the forum topics. Try listing them in chronological order, newest first.

This one is over three years old. I'll bet he got that ol' breech plug out long ago.

[:D]
  • Options
    bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What Kat said. I use anti-seeze on the plug only. You can buy the grey which is great for smokepoles, or the copper colored kind is REALLY high temp and is over kill for a gun. Either will work, a dab of anti-seeze will smear a mile and good luck washing it off. I brush it one about 1/8" from the starting thread and thick enough to fill half the groozes between the threads. When I tighten it up I turn it freely till it stops and give it a little snug. When you fire 100-150gr of Pyrodex that plug will seal just fine and you still will have to grunt a little to take it back out.
    Good luck[;)]