In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

67 caliber black powder pistol

ta812002ta812002 Member Posts: 70 ✭✭
My father just recently gave me a flintlock pistol that he built (from a kit) as a kid. It is a .67 caliber smooth bore gun.

So far I have been having a hard time finding 67 caliber round balls or supplies for shooting. I was told by one source that I can shoot any size ball in it as long as I can get it to fit tightly in the bore.

If this is the case, what would be a suggestion for a common substitute for the 67 cal. ball?

Or any other information regarding this gun might be good.
My father said he remembers having to use 50 grains of powder in it.

Comments

• Options
    44caliberkid44caliberkid Member Posts: 925 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm guessing it is a 69 caliber, unless it's marked 67, but I've never heard of one. Is it a Tower pistol? In that case it would be a .69.
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,242 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dixie has a .680 round ball, and moulds for the .662 and the .690 round ball.

http://www.dixiegunworks.com/default.php?cPath=22_101_283&sort=2a&&page=4&osCsid=9fab2be48e7b89a8326588fc26271746

You need to learn what caliber it is. You get an oversized lead slug, and hammer it into the bore, and measure it with a micrometer. A gunsmith can do it.

Or, you could buy a box of .680 round balls and see if they work.
    The .67 is an oddball caliber, it might be .69
    Are you aware that you need to use a patch with the ball?

Fifty grains of powder sounds about right, I'm sure 40 grains would work well.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    It is a .67 caliber. It is marked right on the barrel.
    It is a kit gun and the barel is also marked as made in Japan.

My father mentioned that he had a mold for making round balls for it, but he is not sure if he still has it. I hope he does. he said that he did use a patch with it.

My best bet might be to see if I can get a .68 caliber ball to work in it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The Japs make some good muzzleloaders. I have a kit by Miroku for the Tennessee Mountain Rifle, and it is top quality. Expensive too.
    So you may have a pretty nice pistol.

If that bore is .670, then the .662 round ball will work. The .680 will be too tight, considering that you need to use a patch.
    You ought to get it measured by a gunsmith and go from there.

In other words, it could be a ".67" and it could measure .665, or it could measure .675.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    This is a Tower style pistol, but no "Tower" markings on the lock or anything.
    I took it to my gunsmith this weekend and the bore measures .670 exactly. So it is a true .67 caliber.
  • Options
    tiger13tiger13 Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If it is a .67 use the .62 and patch the ball you will be able to use the gun and not have to worry about the fouling, But using 50 grains of 3F powder in it is asking for trouble, first off, with such a short barrel as a pistol has your burning most of the powder outside in front of the gun and 50 grains is too high a charge to safely shoot in that gun, 30 to 35 is more than plenty.
  • Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    just guessing tiger but after over a year I figure the poster has done figured it out or blown himself up.........
  • Options
    oceanprooceanpro Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well I just bought a .67 pistol and measures a true .670 ID. Im just wondering if those ball sizes mentioned were a bit off? If its a true .67 caliber wouldnt anything bigger than a .65 be to large with a patch?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    My TC Hawken is a .50 and it uses .490 patched round balls.