In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

patch size

rascal2101rascal2101 Member Posts: 23 ✭✭
I have a 45 cal kentucky long rifle, .440 round balls. What size patch do I need, or does it matter much?

Comments

• mbsamsmbsams Member Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They come various thickneses - what you need depends on the exact fit of your ball, patch, and barrel. Find one that is snung going down the bore but not too tight. Try .010" and .015". One of those will likely work. For simplicity, I like the prelubed TC's
  • wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Buy some that are sized...

Then if you want to save cut your own.

Generally 2x your bore.
  • anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've always cut and lubed my own patches from cheap pillow ticking at Wal-Mart for my replica long guns. After cutting the squares, put on a little lube and put in a metal container and put in the toaster oven for a couple minutes.
  • MMOMEQ-55MMOMEQ-55 Member Posts: 13,134
    edited November -1
    Easier to buy TC prelude patches. They are prelude with bore butter and this helps keep your bore cleaner. And the best part is they are cheap.[:D]
  • hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,121 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    with the .440 round ball you can start with .015 patch if this gets to tight for second and third shots you can try .010 patch, try both to see which gives you best accuracy and performance, ( quick reloads ) and good hunting accuracy. You should also try raising and dropping the powder charge 10-15 grains every third shot or so for best accuracy.
  • andrewsw16andrewsw16 Member Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have found that old pill bottles are just about the right shape and size to carry a good sized stack of patches. I stuff in about a two inch stack, give the pile a few good shots of tranny fluid and pack it in my shooting case. The patches are ready to go by the time I get to the range. [:)]
  • bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Buy a few different thickness patches. You will know the right one because the thick ones will be hard as heck to load.

With the info you've listed I would start with .010" prelube patches
  • Wolf.Wolf. Member Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by andrewsw16
    I have found that old pill bottles are just about the right shape and size to carry a good sized stack of patches. I stuff in about a two inch stack, give the pile a few good shots of tranny fluid and pack it in my shooting case. The patches are ready to go by the time I get to the range. [:)]
    I sugget that rather than using auto-transmission fluide or any other hydrocarbon-based product for lubricating or shooting in your black powder gun, that you use instead a combination of lanolin and beeswax. for patches, I would start with a 70% lanolin/30% beeswax mix and adjust it from there to suit your needs. The reason is that hydrocarbons, when burned with either black powder, or to a lesser extent, bp subsitutes, will produce a sticky, messy asphaltine substance that causes severe fouling and failures in black powder guns. Buy pure lanolin and beeswax on the Interent...start with e bay.