In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Need a Muzzle Loader for elk.

twogunkellytwogunkelly Member Posts: 51 ✭✭
Howdy Pards; I would like to get a hawken or rolling block Muzzle loader for elk ....Do they make one that can handle 150 gr. of pyrodex and a .50 cal power belt bullet...I have in-lines but would like something more traditional....Any Ideas???Thanks....

Comments

• Options
    andrewsw16andrewsw16 Member Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No problem. There are several dealers that have the 50 and 54 Hawken reproductions that will serve your purpose well without breaking your bank.
  • Options
    MMOMEQ-55MMOMEQ-55 Member Posts: 13,134
    edited November -1
    For the money you cannot beat a TC Hawken.
  • Options
    LilOsageLilOsage Member Posts: 39 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    TwoGun:

I don't know how to tell you this without spoiling your chances, but there is an active auction #245102201 for a rifle that will do nicely. No it ain't mine, but I owned one of those in the past and they are virtually impossible to beat, but then I'm a totally hardcore traditional .54 hunter.

LilOsage
  • Options
    elkoholicelkoholic Member Posts: 5,130
    edited November -1
    TGK:

Reviews on the power belts indicate they have problems with high velocity impacts.

I conducted a highly unscientific test a couple of years ago firing the 50 cal. platinum power belts into loose dirt and gallon jugs full of water. Once I got above 120 gr. of loose 777 they started to come apart at 50 yards. I settled for just over 100 gr. Accuracy was fantastic and the power belt ended up going the long way through a nice bull.

Just food for thought. Good hunting.

-Lew
  • Options
    OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lew, I have also done some further testing

If you remember I had awful results with the 295grs PB

Velocity is the devil with these, @ 90grs of loose RS they hold together. 90grs of 777 and they start to come apart quickly. 777 is a little hotter than RS.

I have tried the large PB's and they hold up to the added velocity that 90-100grs of 777 powder adds.

TGK stay away from the liter bullets and stick to the larger offerings and you should be fine with 100grs of 777.