In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

going back

rongrong Member Posts: 8,459
I've been thining of this for
a while: I'm going back
to traditional muzzleloading,
not flint but percussion.

Ever since I bought an Omega
(great firearm) and shot a couple
deer. i kept thinking it was
like shooting a modern rifle,
kinda not fair in the basic sense.

I have a renegade 54 but my buddy is in
need of a 357 so I'm trading one of mine
for his Seneca 45cal

Comments

• He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mine are 50s and I agree. I have a Black Diamond and it too shoots like a centerfire. With a full load it even recoils like a centerfire. I like the sidelocks better.
  • cbyerlycbyerly Member Posts: 689 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Real men don't need scopes on muzzle loaders either.
  • mackcranemackcrane Member Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree,the moderen ones are no different than a single-shot centerfire.The whole concept of muzzleloading hunting was to do it the way your ancestors did it. I think there should 2 seasons here in WV, one for modern and one for traditional.
  • rongrong Member Posts: 8,459
    edited November -1
    Two separate seasons? I totaly agree,
    same for bow hunting.
    Up here in Nh they all overlap and
    I don't agree with it.
    That's about the only thing Mass has going for it,
    they have a well thought out hunting season.
  • hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,119 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just bought a renegade 54 cal flintlock this spring for that very same reason, just no challange in new muzzleloaders.
  • MMOMEQ-55MMOMEQ-55 Member Posts: 13,134
    edited November -1
    Got into muzzleloading for the challenge. Inlines take a far share of that challenge away.

Some laugh at me but when I take the ole smoke pole out hunting. I am wearing early 18th century clothing. I basically look like a mountain man. Just part of the fun of muzzleloading.

I own several cap locks and one flintlock. My 50 caliber Hawken can out shoot most inlines if I do my job.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by hillbille
    I just bought a renegade 54 cal flintlock this spring for that very same reason, just no challange in new muzzleloaders.
    I've got a caplock in 54 Renegade, great gun. What part of WV do you live in, I'm down near Beckley.
  • hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,119 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mackcrane
    quote:Originally posted by hillbille
    I've got a caplock in 54 Renegade, great gun. What part of WV do you live in, I'm down near Beckley.

parkersburg, mineralwells area.. My sister lives down yourway, she just retired from Concord college and lives near Athens.
  • mongrel1776mongrel1776 Member Posts: 894 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Unlike a lot of traditional shooters, I have nothing in particular against in-lines, but I much prefer the full-traditional guns. I build mainly caplocks because I shoot (pun intended) for the entry-level market, but my own guns are flinters. There is a fairly steep learning curve that goes with the rocklocks, but the satisfaction of making meat (or just simply shooting well) with one is worth every bit of the work and occasional frustration.

However, the in-line doesn't offer any real advantage beyond faster ignition and perhaps a more familiar feel (for someone used to modern rifles) over a traditional percussion gun. The Lyman Great Plains Hunter, for instance, which is a basically Hawken-style rifle equipped with a fast-twist barrel, will launch the same projectiles to the same ranges as any in-line, assuming sighting equipment and a degree of shooter skill that will make such long shots possible. The secret to any muzzleloader's performance in terms of projectiles and ballistics is in the rifling of the barrel, not the outward look of the rifle or even really whether the cap is busted behind or alongside the powder charge. The Lyman rifle will just do the same basic job with a completely different look and feel than any "modern" muzzleloader.
  • OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have the thumbhole omega and love it but I too want to get into the more traditional type rifle. I want to but a flintlock and give it a try. It looks really challenging. Has anyone shot a flintlock rifle??? I think I will buy one this fall and try it.
    edited November -1
    Anybody seen the Renegade 56 caliber smoothbore on the auction side. Bet that would a trick to hunt with.
  • mongrel1776mongrel1776 Member Posts: 894 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    A good smoothbore inside about 50-60 yards can deliver rifle-quality hunting accuracy, and I've watched guys on woodswalks pull off shots at nearer to 100 yards that I know I couldn't do reliably with a rifle. The key to both flinters and smoothbores is lots of practice, and, since "lots of practice" means "more shooting" no one who loves to shoot should have any reason to complain about that.

A (roughly) .62 caliber smoothbore is actually about the most versatile muzzleloader a hunter could own, assuming circumstances allow him to keep his shots relatively close (100 yards is pushing it hard, even for an expert, and none of very fine shots I know would take a crack at a whitetail at much past 60-70 or so). Loaded with a patched round ball it's deadly on any non-dangerous big game that walks this continent and loaded with shot it's the perfect gun for anything from squirrels to wild turkey.

There are conditions in which the range and power that an in-line delivers are pretty much necessities, but the "primitive" smokepole in the hands of a practiced shot is all the more that's needed for close-range hunting. Not to mention that shooting one is a literal blast....
  • festusfestus Member Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cbyerly
    Real men don't need scopes on muzzle loaders either.

Well "real" old men do.
  • bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MMOMEQ-55
    Got into muzzleloading for the challenge. Inlines take a far share of that challenge away.

Some laugh at me but when I take the ole smoke pole out hunting. I am wearing early 18th century clothing. I basically look like a mountain man. Just part of the fun of muzzleloading.

I own several cap locks and one flintlock. My 50 caliber Hawken can out shoot most inlines if I do my job.

If I put my .50 T/C Hawkin(patch & ball) on a bag. I fire a couple foulers. Then I put about a 4-6 in bull up at 100yrds.( Needs to be that big because the front bead will cover up that much at 100yrd). I can fire the next 2 shots in a side ways figure 8, if I do my part.[;)]

Looks like a peanut down range.[8D]
  • fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    .54 hawhkn replica,percussion will turn a 200# hogactically iside out at75-80 yds love it with .45 cal sabboted slugs..