In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

black powder firearm/ permit

jaegermisterjaegermister Member Posts: 692 ✭✭✭✭
I have never heard of any incident involving a black powder pistol such as a cap & ball in a robbery or domestic violence event. And yet you can purchase and carry these cap&ball pistols without regulations. Has any one ever heard of any offenses incurred using a black powder firearm?

Comments

• Options
    swopjanswopjan Member Posts: 3,292
    edited November -1
    i've never heard of an incident. this is a fine example of legality and lethality being at odds and still being perfectly fine; just because something can harm someone doesn't mean it will.

someone intent on robbery would get a real gun, since they don't care if a weapon is legal or not.
  • Options
    andrewsw16andrewsw16 Member Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Actually, I have. It was back in the 70's when I lived in Kansas City. Some guy, who the newspapers said was not legal to own modern firearms, had something like an old cap and ball Dragoon, and used it to bump off his wife and her lover. Something like that. It's been a long time. But, I remembered the newspaper making a big deal out of the fact that it was cap and ball and an antique or replica. But, that's the only one I've ever heard of.
  • Options
    jaegermisterjaegermister Member Posts: 692 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Interesting, wish I had some broader statistics. I am sure you are all aware that once a cap&ball is loaded it represents no less of a pistol than any revolver. With extra loaded cylinders carried and some models like the Civil War LeMat, represent some serious fire power.
    All this and you can buy one through the mail. Perhaps the infrequency
    of black powder in violent gun incidents reflects the mind set of a person bent on harm rather than taking a logical approach.
  • Options
    sjstewartsjstewart Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Washington State, just a couple of years ago, decided to consider Blackpowder Firearms in the same category as Modern Firearms. Pistol or Rifle, a full FFL transfer has to occur if you purchase it retail, waiting period if no CPP etc. They are treated as any other firearm in every sense including concealed carry and eligibility to own a firearm. We had a short run trend of convicted felons hiding behind blackpowder rules, mostly drug dealers using the guns for "protection" and judges saying "I don't think so." Our legislature did away with the provision all together. So yes, though not readily made public, offenses have been committed and it's once again the dirt bags that shouldn't have them in the first place ruining it for the rest of us.
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,242 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have not heard of any crimes committed with cap and ball pistols.
    For the average criminal, they are just too much trouble.
    A newbie could easily load a cap and ball pistol and it would not fire!
    He didn't clean oil from the nipples, grease was in the cylinders, etc.

I did read a stat a few years back that 2 suicided happen annually using the old time guns.

Thank God for most legislatures, the cap and ball pistol flies under the radar screen.
  • Options
    jonlowerjonlower Member Posts: 41 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    There was a shooting crime involving the death of someone in Philadelphia about 8 years ago. A mentally unstable man went to a hospital and shot up the doctors who had treated him. We thought it would set off an attempt to ban cap and ball revolvers but nothing has come of it. Not enough precident I guess for the courts, plus the NRA got into it.

JP
  • Options
    ltcdotyltcdoty Member Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In New York State you can buy them, but if you plan to shoot them, they have to be put on a pistol permit
  • Options
    AQUAINFLAQUAINFL Member Posts: 48 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    In most locations one can buy bp firearms but they are still considered a FIREARM and fall into firearm laws if carried.
  • Options
    Wolf.Wolf. Member Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by andrewsw16
    Actually, I have. It was back in the 70's when I lived in Kansas City. Some guy, who the newspapers said was not legal to own modern firearms, had something like an old cap and ball Dragoon, and used it to bump off his wife and her lover. Something like that. It's been a long time. But, I remembered the newspaper making a big deal out of the fact that it was cap and ball and an antique or replica. But, that's the only one I've ever heard of.
    [:D]...I think that at one time in Texas, in the not so distant past, such a killing was perfectly legal. At least the guy anyway and maybe the wife, but I don't recall exactly.[:o)]
  • Options
    minitruck83minitruck83 Member Posts: 5,369
    edited November -1
    Probably used a 'temporary insanity' plea. 'in the heat of the moment' type of thing.

It was legal in WV in the 60's!

Allen
  • Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    U don't need a permit to buy gasoline but, U sure could kill a bunch of folks with a gallon or 3!!