In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

45 cal Seneca

rongrong Member Posts: 8,459
Hello, I'm having a tough time finding
maxiballs for this, so for the heck of it
I tried a 250gr 45 lc bevel base rn cast bullet.

I set in in a 10mil patch and it goes down the barrel
easily but with some resistance.I figure
I'd try an 015 patch.

Have any of you guys ever shot cast handgun bullets
out of 45 cal muzzle loaders and also what do you think of this
scheme.
Thanks-Ron

Comments

• Options
    bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't own a .45 smoke pole, mine are all .50's

They actually make the cast pistol bullets for ML's and people are always looking for them.

I've tried them in my Hawken they group pretty good. Never shot anything (animal) with them though.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    I have tried a 200 gr SWC .452" bullet from mine. Shot ok, nothing spectacular.

I have shot a lot of .40 pistol bullets, both lead and jacketed, out of a .45 sabot though. I shot a deer with one, it didn't go TOO far (about 70 yards with a double lung shot, then piled up). My only critique was this was a .40 Hornady 200 gr handgun bullet; it was a hollow point and is designed to expand. It didn't. In one side, out the other, wound channel same size with exit hole and entry hole both about .40 caliber.

I don't think you'll have much luck patching pistol bullets. A round ball patches fine because it is uniform in shape. A pistol bullet being shaped like, well, a bullet is going to go down the bore slightly off center and not align properly, leading to poor accuracy. I'd go with whatever fits the bore best. Conversely a sabot will auto-center the projectile and grip it uniformly.

Personally I never entirely subscribed to the maxi ball idea. While it will upset into the rifling to some extent, it won't ever quite form the seal a minie ball does. The exception would be a breechloader; there you have no issue and can actually use an oversized bullet. I know a lot of guys shoot them with good results, I'm just saying all things being equal it wouldn't be my first choice.
  • Options
    rongrong Member Posts: 8,459
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys.
    As always, If I
    ask a question I get good answers
    ron