In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.45 cal. flintlock pistol

ginger49023ginger49023 Member Posts: 655 ✭✭✭✭
I bought a Dixie Gun Works flintlock black powder pistol in .45 caliber.
I cannot find the correct round ball size in any of the instructions.
So to be sure, I do not screw up, a question.
Using a patch and a ball, what size round ball?
thanks

Comments

• Options
    navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Per the Dixie catalog, .445 is the correct size. Be aware that smaller sizes can be used with thicker patches. It is not an exact science situation.
    You are welcome. I think you may find the .445 ball a very tight fit and hard to load. A .440 ball will load easier and is entirely adequate for casual shooting. For example, I use a .490 ball in my .50 caliber rifle because a .495 ball is just too hard to load in the field (hunting).
    If you are new to black powder shooting, I would recommend the Lyman Black Powder Handbook.
  • Options
    ginger49023ginger49023 Member Posts: 655 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,229 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You just need a tight fit when loading.

You didn't say if you have ever messed with a muzzleloader.
    If not, when you set the ball on the patch, you need to use some force to load it into the barrel.
    I have a round wooden ball about 2 inches in diameter. It has a 3/8 inch hole drilled in it.
    I set that hole on top of the lead ball, and pop the wooden ball with the palm of my hand.
    This forces the lead ball down the bore and "engraves" the soft lead in to the rifling.
    Then there is a 2 inch by 3/8 inch little "ramrod" that sticks out of that wooden ball, I set the little ramrod on the wooden ball and pop the bullet 2 inches down into the bore. Now it is ready for the ramrod.

If the ball and patch will just slide into the bore without the use of the "short starter" then you need a bigger lead ball, or else, a thicker patch.

On the other hand, you can certainly get away with a lead ball that is too big, just a little more horsepower with the short starter and the lead ball will go down the bore.