In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

T/C front sight replacement

bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
Any one know the correct way to take the front sight(dovetail and all) off a T/C Hawkin without gouging up the metal? I want to put a fiber optic sight on to see better.
Thanks

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
  • Options
    Winston BodeWinston Bode Member Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, in order to take the front sight off just drift it out left to right. But in order to get rid of the dovetail you'll have to cut the barrel off behind the dovetail. Or did I misunderstand the question.

Bode
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I wanted to knock the top part(male part) out. I would replace the metal blade with a fiber optic.

I beat the chit out of it with a brass rod I had. I had to peene the dove tail(female side) to get the new fiber optic to stay.
  • Options
    MMOMEQ-55MMOMEQ-55 Member Posts: 13,134
    edited November -1
    I have replaced several by simply driving the sight out with a drift. Same when re installing it.
    I first wrap the barrel with a piece of leather then put it into a vise.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MMOMEQ-55
    I have replaced several by simply driving the sight out with a drift. Same when re installing it.
    I first wrap the barrel with a piece of leather then put it into a vise.

I used a 1x3 on both sides & a brass rod. Not the easiest, but effective.