In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Beretta Schofields spitting lead

v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
Two Schofields, both new, spit lead dangerously.
While watching at about six feet away, slightly to the rear and to the side, a good chunk of lead hit me on the nose to be stopped by my eyeglass nose pad.
The cut bled pretty good.
Had I not worn glasses my right eye would have been damaged.
Another observer said the other Schofield was also spitting.
It didn't appear the barrels were throated.

Comments

• Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,033 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That would be a cheap fix compared to the cylinder being out of sync.
  • Options
    andrewsw16andrewsw16 Member Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Definitely not a home repair. If the guns are still in warranty, send them back with a detailed letter. Gun manufacturers are rightfully sensitive to a defect causing real or potential physical harm. If they are out of warranty, have a good smithy take a whack at them. A bit of throating may cure it. If not, then cylinder timing will have to be adjusted. Good luck.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Brownells sells a throating hand reamer for revolvers .
    Cylinders on those revolvers don't just slip off. One has to first remove the barrel latch.
    I've half a mind to contact Beretta on that close one.
  • Options
    COLT_45_SAACOLT_45_SAA Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    IMPORTANT !

Same thing happened to me within the last month or so.
    Had purchased Uberti nickle engraved top break schofield
    that was produced in limited numbers. Fired American Eagles
    which lead & copper jacket shred in my BLEEDING forehead.
    Was a Stoger import.....also I was wearing my glasses thank
    GOD....marks all over them.

I WILL NEVER BUY FROM UBERTI OR AFFILIATE AGAIN. GO USA !
  • Options
    andrewsw16andrewsw16 Member Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Kind of a broad brush. I have a couple of Uberti .45 Colt Hombre sixguns. Excellent quality, smooth actions, and very accurate. It seems folks are having problems with the top breaks. I wonder why.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Broad brush or not, I'd have a range barrier between me and another Schofield being fired.
  • Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    Damn good thing U kept eyes on while not at the firing line.I suspect out of time,throated or not,it may stop the spitting but outta timing is still going to remain a prob.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    These are quality guns so I'm more inclined to believe Uberti left out the throating step.
    It's easy enough to verify.
  • Options
    machine gun moranmachine gun moran Member Posts: 5,198
    edited November -1
    I've had a different experience than COLT 45 SAA, with Colt SAA quality vs. Uberti quality. I've owned 5 Colt SAA's and 9 Uberti copies which were all purchased new, except for one Uberti. Three of the Colt-made guns were bummers (bad timing, flaking nickel, front sight going into orbit upon firing, and even a digit of the serial number on the front of one of the cylinders being peened into the chamber throat). Real sloppy work, and even worse repair when returned to the factory. None of the Ubertis had any problems, which could translate as GO ITALY.

But I've never had a Schofield copy. And with the poor reports lately on Beretta/Stoeger Schofields as produced by Uberti, I'm beginning to wonder if Beretta has done the same thing to Uberti that Olin Mathieson did to Winchester in 1964. When quality deteriorates but the price doesn't, it's a reminder that we have a scarcity of the likes of Henry Ford and Isadore Loewe. Bit I digress[8D].
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The Schofields looked very well made.
  • Options
    RocklobsterRocklobster Member Posts: 7,060
    edited November -1
    I've put about 500 rounds through my Uberti No.3 New Model Russian with no problems. The .44 Russian cartridge is quite accurate, with low recoil.