In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Thompson Encore 50cal BP help

trsmith5trsmith5 Member Posts: 489 ✭✭✭
I'm very new to Muzzle Loading and it's becoming evident why I waited so long. It's confusing. First of all, I've tried the TC maxiballs with 100gr shockley's gold powder to no avail. Groups spread out like a weeks wash.
I was hoping someone on the forum has the same gun and can recommend something to narrow down the trial and error.

Comments

• awindsawinds Member Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Drop the load to 90 grains. The group should improve. And the deer won't know the difference. IMHO.
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes it can be confusing.

Different guns like different loads.

That rifle has a 1:28 rate of twist. It may prefer a smaller bullet, such as the Hornady 250 SST. That big lead slug may do better in a gun with a slower rate of twist.
  • trsmith5trsmith5 Member Posts: 489 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys,
    I dropped the powder and tried a smaller powerbelt.
    The group tightened up and took it's first toll this morning on a nice 7pt, taken by my neighbors son. Great first deer. The deer got tagged and so did kasey, right between the eyes with the scope. Lol. I guess next time he'll hold it tighter.
  • tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know this threads last post is a little over a month old, but you are headed in the right direction by going with the Powerbelt Bullets.

In the 50 caliber TC Encore, and the Triumphs, we are shooting 2-777(or WhiteHot's), 50 grain pellets, and either a 245 grain PowerBelt AT, or the 250 grain AreoLite. The groups are as phenominal as the results on game. You will do yourself a big favor by getting rid of that Shockey's Gold, and getting the 777, or White Hot pellets.

As a side note, I also have a 45 caliber Encore, that I shoot 2-777 pellets, and a 195 grain AT. Same type of results...even at 216 yards.