In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

38-40 ammo for original 1873 Winchester

1923model12win1923model12win Member Posts: 162 ✭✭✭
I am looking for a place to get ammo that won't blow up an old winchester 1873. It is a 3rd model 38-40. It is in good shape now that I have been able to get all of the screws and sights and wood. Thank You!

Ian L. Lester

Comments

• Options
    yonsonyonson Member Posts: 906 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Factory Winchester 180 gr. FP. Works in mine (same gun as yours).
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is an ammo company by the name of UltraMax, that not only remanufactures ammo, but they also load new stuff too. They have a line of new Cowboy Action ammo. I baught a case of the 38-40 for my Colt SAA's, and Winchester 1873's, and 1892's. It is relatively mild, like a 180 grain LFP at 650 FPS from the Colt's. It shows to be decently accurate and functions great. I have also acquired a supply of the 41 Colt ammo, and shoot it in my Colt SAA's.

Best
  • Options
    machine gun moranmachine gun moran Member Posts: 5,198
    edited November -1
    But be careful when using very lightly-loaded ammunition in a rifle. Lyman recommends minimum loads for the 38-40 that are actually over the maximum loads listed by some others, and Lyman is known for their conservatism. Apparently, a too-lightly loaded 38-40 cartridge can allow the premature collapse of the case walls away from the chamber walls, permitting gas leakage around the case and producing a stuck bullet.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Use lead bullet loads only at velocities not exceeding black powder
    velocities.
    Look at "Cowboy Loads".
  • Options
    1923model12win1923model12win Member Posts: 162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by v35
    Use lead bullet loads only at velocities not exceeding black powder
    velocities.
    Look at "Cowboy Loads".

Why only use lead? This is what I thought. But, my grandfather says I can use copper jacket. I will reload myself. I def can't afford to shoot store bought at $70 a box!
  • Options
    eastbankeastbank Member Posts: 4,215
    edited November -1
    most of the old winchester and marlin,s had soft iron barrels and will wear out early with a steady diet of jacketed bullets, i use hard cast lead bullets and can not find any disadvantage in there use. i load for all the pistol lenth cases(25-20,32-20,38-40,44-40) and a few odd balls. lead bullets can be bought cheaply if you do not cast your self. eastbank.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Barrels used to be very soft. I've seen Colt SAA barrels worn at the muzzle almost to the bore from holster wear.
    The big factories discontinued high velocity loadings of the 32-20, 38-40 and 44-40 and only load the original light pistol loads.
    Probably for marketing reasons, they load jacketed soft point bullets in them.
    There is some choice now with small companies getting into Cowboy Loads that use only lead bullets.
    At the slow velocity any of this ammo is loaded, there is no point in jacketed bullets.
    In fact it's quite the opposite. Many old barrels are oversize and lead bullets upset to properly fill rifling grooves.
    They will therefore be more accurate.
    I proved this out on one of my rifles, a 38-40 Lightning, recently.