In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

New to muzzle Loaders

woodshed87woodshed87 Member Posts: 25,785
Ok traded and got Myself A Nice CVA hunterbolt Magnum
.50 Cal
Got Some = 6 pcs .50 Cal Sabots TC 240 grain XTP
hollow points

Got My Primers= Winchester 209 triple 7...

got any Recomendations For powder? would Like Pellets.
And What Range Can I Expect it to be useful for Whitetail..
Should I Stay About that weight bullet Or Change To Something Else
Would Like to Put a BDC Reticle On it too.
Input?
Thanks Guys

Comments

• Options
    bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by woodshed87
    .50 Cal
    hollow points

Input?
    Thanks Guys

I have the same gun. I have a 3-9X40mm Bushnell scope(POS but it works just fine for BP gun) on it. I use 295grHP PowerBelt bullets and 100gr Triple Seven. I shoot the hair off a cats @ss at 150yrds and in. I roled a big buck with it 3yrs ago. I haven't got a chance to shoot past 150yrds with it.
  • Options
    woodshed87woodshed87 Member Posts: 25,785
    edited November -1
    Would the 240 or 245 gr Work Say out to 200Yrds.
    What do you think?
    quote:Originally posted by bambambam
    quote:Originally posted by woodshed87
    .50 Cal
    hollow points

Input?
    Thanks Guys

I have the same gun. I have a 3-9X40mm Bushnell scope(POS but it works just fine for BP gun) on it. I use 295grHP PowerBelt bullets and 100gr Triple Seven. I shoots the hair off a cats @ss at 150yrds and in. I roled a big buck with it 3yrs ago. I haven't got a chance to shoot past 150yrds with it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hornady or T/C should give a drop chart with the 100gr or 150gr charge. I'll look and see.

I have a program that graphs shots. I need to know if you have the .44(.430) or .45(.452) bullets in the .50 sabots.

Here is the data for a 240gr .44 bullet out of a 24" barrel with 100gr of pyrodex or 777, with a scope mounted 1.5" above the bore & zeroed at 100yrds. Your gun will differ some with barrel length, and other uncontrolable factors.

[img][/img]001-2.jpg
  • Options
    anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hodgdon 777 is the way to go ... pellets or loose not big difference except ease of loading.
  • Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by andersk
    Hodgdon 777 is the way to go ... pellets or loose not big difference except ease of loading.

Roger, this is the powder you want to use. Oak
  • Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    U may as well just us a rifle. To me,that ain't mzzleloadin'.
  • Options
    andrewsw16andrewsw16 Member Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You need something with a side hammer and that uses a percussion cap or a flint. Ya'll messin' with them new fangled riffles with shotgun primers are just committin' blasphemy. [;)]
  • Options
    44caliberkid44caliberkid Member Posts: 925 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fishkiller41
    U may as well just us a rifle. To me,that ain't mzzleloadin'.

Some states (like Iowa) you can't use a centerfire cartridge rifle. I am (was?) a traditional muzzleloader guy, then last winter I bought a CVA Optima on clearance at Walmart at something like 50% off. Too hard to pass up. Put a Simmons 4X on it. Just shot it yesterday for the first time with W-W primer, 777 2F powder (150 grains) and Power Belt 295 grain hollow point copper bullet. After sighting in, my last three shots at 100 yards, on a 100 yard rifle target, put one dead center bull, and the other two at 8 & 4 o'clock on the bull. About a 4 inch spread.
    I really loved that the last round loaded as easy as the first, unlike real BP, patch and ball. I usually deer hunt with a 44 magnum handgun but might carry this this year in some situations. Don't worry traditionalists, I'll still squirrel hunt with my .32 Kentucky rifle.
  • Options
    jednorrisjednorris Member Posts: 21 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Black Powder is NOT for long range hunting. If you zero at 100 yds. your drop at 200 is 25" and your energy is not adequate for deer.
  • Options
    rongrong Member Posts: 8,459
    edited November -1
    Just in my humble opinon
    only: you now have a single shot
    modern rifle that will reach out there a bit.
    People use them during the traditional
    muzzle loading season.

Traditional? I think not[:)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jednorris
    Black Powder is NOT for long range hunting. If you zero at 100 yds. your drop at 200 is 25" and your energy is not adequate for deer.

If you look at the chart I posted above 350yrds is the minimum energy state law here calls for a firearm.You have to have at least 500ft/lb at the muzzle. 350yrds meets that requirement, but it's not a distance "I" would ever try. I'd be lucky to shoot that with a centerfire.

But, as you said, the drop at that distance[91"(7.5ft) drop w/100yrd zero]would make it very unsuitable for real world application.
  • Options
    wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Read very carefully the manual with your gun. Or download a copy.

Its a whole new breed of cat!

Enjoy the journey.
  • Options
    steve45steve45 Member Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not correct in my rifle. I load 300 gr. Hornady XTP with sabot and 100 gr. of 777 powder. I sight dead on at 100 yds. and the drop at 200 is about a foot. Accuracy is excellent. This is my everyyear elk rifle. I have shot Elk with round balls, Maxi-balls and Sabot 45 bullets and the 45 bullets have far more shock value and knockdown than the others.quote:Originally posted by jednorris
  • Options
    steve45steve45 Member Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would recheck the velocities your quoting. 240 gr. bullets with 100 gr. 777 should be around 1850 to 1950 FPS with 24 to 28 inch barrels.quote:Originally posted by bambambam
    Hornady or T/C should give a drop chart with the 100gr or 150gr charge. I'll look and see.

I have a program that graphs shots. I need to know if you have the .44(.430) or .45(.452) bullets in the .50 sabots.

Here is the data for a 240gr .44 bullet out of a 24" barrel with 100gr of pyrodex or 777, with a scope mounted 1.5" above the bore & zeroed at 100yrds. Your gun will differ some with barrel length, and other uncontrolable factors.

[img][/img]001-2.jpg