In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

legality question

swopjanswopjan Member Posts: 3,292
I stumbled across what looks to be a SAA fitted with a black powder cap and ball cylinder. I'd like to buy it but I'm concerned about shipping as I would be unable to pick it up for a while if it requires an FFL. Is it legal to ship it direct as it is now a black powder gun?

Comments

• StackStack Member Posts: 100 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Years ago Uberti, Pietta and Armi San Marco produced cap & ball Model 1873 single action revolvers. Pietta may still be manufacturing this model. I believe it is still advertised in the Dixie Gun Works catalogue. The firing pin and the frame, where the firing pin enters to strike the percussion cap, are machined in such an unusual way, that it would be not readily converted to a cartridge firing pistol. Most likely it is one of these pistols you have. If so, it is a cap & ball revolver that merely looks like a cartridge pistol. Possessing or shipping this revolver is the same as possessing or shipping any other replica, or original, cap & ball pistol. No FFL is required although there may be state or local laws governing cap & ball pistols. I have three, by the three manufacturers, that I'll post pictures of, later, that you can compare yours to.
    edited November -1
    The following pictures are of the Uberti, Pietta and Armi San Marco Model 1873 cap ball single action revolvers. The hammers and frames are machined to preclude installation and firing using a cartridge cylinder. All barrels are marked ".44 CAL. BLACK POWDER ONLY". The frames are of the "smokeless type", pressing a button to remove the cylinder pin and cylinder. The ejector rods are functional although they serve no useful purpose. The cylinders have to be removed for loading with a loader, available as an accessory. In all the pictures, from top to bottom , are the Uberti, the Pietta and the Armi San Marco.

IMG_2227.jpg

IMG_2242.jpg

IMG_2234.jpg

IMG_2255.jpg

IMG_2254.jpg

IMG_2251.jpg

IMG_2258.jpg
  • swopjanswopjan Member Posts: 3,292
    edited November -1
    Thank you Stack, the seller assures me it is black powder only and it looks identical to the Pietta model. I think I'll have a new pistol soon... [:)]
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was going to post a pic but stack has that covered.

I have a Uberti 1873 SAA designed as a muzzleloader.
    As was said, it is legally a muzzleloader.
    It is funny, it is a replica of a pistol that never existed.

This is a fine well made pistol and I really like it.
    edited November -1
    The first two pictures are from the July and December 1999 Sportsman's Guide catalogues for the Traditions Pietta Model 1873 single action blackpowder revolver. Notice that in the July catalogue the 7-1/2" barrel revolver cost twenty dollars more than the shorter 4-3/4" barrel, but in the December catologue the price is the same for either barrel length. At the bottom of the third picture, from the Uberti catalogue, is their Model 1873 single action revolver and loading stand.

TP-2.jpg

TP-4.jpg

U-2.jpg
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    These "replicas" were invented for the English market, where there is a fascination for the old West, but it is impossible to buy a cartridge pistol.
  • Joes Custom GunsJoes Custom Guns Member Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If it was made before 1899 then it dose not require an FFL.